closer spaced coils on '79 GS 1000 springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

closer spaced coils on '79 GS 1000 springs

Which way do the springs go in? the closer coils up, or down. I don't see the info in either my Suzuki manual, or my Haynes manual. DOH!
    Last edited by jknappsax; 04-17-2011, 02:13 PM.
    1979 GS 1000

I don't think it usually matters, so long as they are the same. The general advice is to install with the tight coils down. Those are the "soft" coils and there may be less noise in operation that way.

Comment

that's how I THOUGHT they were supposed to go. Thanks!
      1979 GS 1000

Comment

If they're the original fork springs, install them into the nearest trash can. Either way up is fine.

Then order up some Progressive fork springs or Sonic straight-rate fork springs.

Then again, it sounds like you might already have Progressive springs.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

In theory the close ones go at the top as they weigh more.. in practice it makes no difference as others say
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
            In theory the close ones go at the top as they weigh more.. in practice it makes no difference as others say
            Well, as long as we're talking theory here... putting the closer coils at the top also would displace a little less of the fork oil down below. Hard to say whether this effect would be significant or not, but I sincerely doubt it. If you're sensitive enough to tell whether your fork springs are upside-down, you probably shouldn't be out in the daylight.

I've also seen the advice before to put the closer coils at the bottom because of "noise", but this doesn't make a bit sense to me -- I've ridden a lot of bikes a lot of miles in all sorts of conditions, and I can't recall ever, even once, hearing the slightest noise from the fork springs.

Where does this stuff come from? Are people really out there riding around with fork springs so sacked and loose that they're kaboinging around in there?
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
              Where does this stuff come from? Are people really out there riding around with fork springs so sacked and loose that they're kaboinging around in there?
              Hi,

I seem to recall that the installation instructions for my Progressive springs mentioned fork noise so I repeated the suggestion in my little fork spring replacement guide. It would seem that the more tightly wound end would bang together sooner than the looser end but the oil at the bottom of the forks would keep the noise down. I actually flipped mine to see if it made a difference and it does seem to make a difference. There's less noise in the front end with the tighter coils on the bottom. But then, I've been playing really loud rock-n-roll music most of my life.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

What to use to cut down springs

I don't have a grinder or cutoff wheel. I have a metal diamond coated saw blade for my Dremel tool; do you think I can use that to cut the springs down? I don't want to make a bloody mess of them, as they are at the top so the spec at 421 mm.
                1979 GS 1000

Comment

I thought Haynes says put the close spaced ones at the top (less unsprung weight.......as if anyone would notice). As Haynes says this, I would strongly recommend doing the opposite.......

It doesn't matter.
                  79 GS1000S
                  79 GS1000S (another one)
                  80 GSX750
                  80 GS550
                  80 CB650 cafe racer
                  75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                  75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
                  X