• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

front brake issue.

Okay 1982 GS750E

Front brake does have antidive system.
    My issue is a sticky front brake.

After sitting for a while it will free up completly.. but once you start riding it progressively gets worse..

last time i rode it it was almost locked up and SCARY!! i was very close to home so i did ride it home but dont wnat to do it again.

The lever gets VERY hard and the calipers dont release.

I think i covered most of it.

Cafekid said to bleed the front brakes. and i will do that first.

but any other ideas?
    or anyone had this problem?

also can you tell me the order for bleeding antidive brakes.

One more thing.. my rear brake is super soft. like push down all the way it barley slows..
    Should i just try bleeding it as well?

If I were you I would strip the system down completely and do a thorough clean of the MC (stripped down), hoses and MC (stripped down). You have some muck in there somewhere for sure.

Same for your rear brake plus you may have a leak in there as well.

To bleed your anti-dive, bleed the caliper on each side first and then the anti-dive.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Did you ever flush your brake system?

However, I agree with HH, you need to pull the calipers off and the pistons out. You'll probably find interesting stuff in there. Check your pistons and replace the O rings

Same with your MC. Pull out the piston and get all the crap out of there

Brake fluid attracts water. You'll be amazed what people find inside working brake systems

Since yours isn't working, advanced maintenance is required
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Hi,

Yes, it sounds like you have some high water vapor content air in your brake lines. When it heats it expands. This locks up your brakes. Completely drain and replace the brake fluid immediately. It wouldn't hurt to rebuild the calipers and master cylinder too.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

What you have is a blocked return port in the master cylinder.
          Take everything apart and clean it all out. Calipers, Master cylinders, all of it. You will probably find brown sugar where the fluid should be, rust where clean metal should be, and some other scary stuff that should not be found anywhere near a motorcycle. Forum members here have dumped hard from ignoring this problem. Your rear brake has likely had the same lack of maintenance and probably is just as bad inside.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            What you have is a blocked return port in the master cylinder.
            Take everything apart and clean it all out. Calipers, Master cylinders, all of it. You will probably find brown sugar where the fluid should be, rust where clean metal should be, and some other scary stuff that should not be found anywhere near a motorcycle. Forum members here have dumped hard from ignoring this problem. Your rear brake has likely had the same lack of maintenance and probably is just as bad inside.
            There you go. Just do it all, and do it right the first time. This is the best solution. Brakes and tires are something you absolutely don't cut corners with. I have read stories of front brakes locking up "for no reason". One guy had his daughter on the back with him. I'll bet that was scary.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Yeah i havent been riding beacuse of this and have been in the hospital but im out now and want to start this..

is there a write up on how to do this anywhere?
              im worried about getting air in the antidive

Comment

Originally posted by Im Faster View Post
                Yeah i havent been riding beacuse of this and have been in the hospital but im out now and want to start this..

is there a write up on how to do this anywhere?
                im worried about getting air in the antidive
                It's gonna happen. It's easy to bleed off. And no, no fork oil or anything will come spurting out. Do you have a manual for that thing? If not bare minimum stop by my place around 5:45 and I'll lend you mine. I can't help ya this evening. My boys got a school event but the manual will help ya for sure or I might be able to help you tomorrow evening for a bit at least to get you started.

Comment

okay.. i ended up getting a garage here so its not such a pain to work on it here anymore. lol now that its nice id like to be able to take it to school ill stop by

Comment

I agree with all the above. As tkent02 says, it is likely a blocked return port from old gunk. A rebuild is in order, and new rubber parts front and rear to be safe. Had the same problem last season, and that was the cure.

Comment

Full tear down is definitely in order. And replace those soggy old rubber brake lines at the same time.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I flushed and bled the brakes.

Didn't help I did not clean the return port... not sure how

Comment

It's the little tiny hole in the bottom of the master cylinder reservoir. Not the larger hole that you can see, though, it's usually hidden by a baffle. You have to take the master cylinder apart and poke a very small wire through the hole to get the crud broken loose. Then, flush it with brake cleaner. Re-assemble, fill, bleed, ride.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yeah i saw where it was.. and it was full of crud.. i used a small screw driver to try to clean out the hole some.. but it didnt get through the port.. i gotta find some wire to do this i guess.. should i unhook the like from the backside of the master cylinder before doing this?

Comment

Your entire brake system is full of that same crud that blocked that hole off.
                              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                              X