Tire decision time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire decision time

After a lot of reading here and elsewhere, I think I will buy Bridgestone BT45s for my GS650G. Bridgestone recommends 100/90-19 for the front and 110/90-17 for the rear and i plan to stay with those sizes for now. The only quirk I have found so far is that I have to spend a few bucks more for a V-rated front tire, because the H-rated tire requires a tube, and I would prefer to stay tubeless.

I have a Metzeler 130/90-17 on the back now but I think I preferred the 120/90-17 that I had for about 10 days before a piece of scrap metal destroyed it. The bike felt a bit better with the narrower tire.

Now I just need the snow flurries to stop and a few days of warmth so I can get into the garage to remove the wheels for the tire installation and finish up a few minor electrical repairs.

Jim
    1981 GS550T (Long gone)
    1983 GS650G (Rolling rebuild is now a full rebuild.)

I'd go with the 110 back tire, you'll probably find even better handling and performance

Why all the tube hate lately?
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Your 650 rear wheel is 2.5" wide, same as an 850. About 90% of the 850 riders around here use a 130, so I don't understand why you would want to go with a 110. Please explain? Personally, I'd go with a 120, just because the bike is smaller and the tire will be spread out nicely. No way I'd go with a 110.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Nessism, I was being cheap, because the H-rated 110/90-17 is less expensive than the V-rated 120/90-17. Bridgestone doesn't sell an H-rated 120. However, $30 won't break the bank so I will consider the 120. My local tire pusher has both in stock.

I don't think I want to go all the way to 130/90 because the bike felt better with a slightly narrower tire. That isn't a scientific comparison, just a first impression after replacing an almost new 120 with a 130 after road damage. I didn't have any long distance riding time on the 120, just commuting at 5 miles per ride for about 10 days, followed by construction debris.

Mr. T, no tube hate, just slight dislike. I might have to use tubes anyway if my old rims leak.

Thanks for the comments.

Jim
        1981 GS550T (Long gone)

Comment

If you are going cheap, why the Metzelers and Bridgestones?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Good point tkent02. The Metzelers were on the bike when I parked it years ago and are as hard as rocks. I am not considering Metzeler for my present purchase.

By cheap, I meant H-rated rather than V-rated BT45s. I had already decided on some variety of BT45.

Jim
            1981 GS550T (Long gone)

Comment

H rating, good for sustained 130 mph. If your 650G does this, I want it.

Comment

If you want "cheap" (they prefer "inexpensive") without sacrificing performance, check out the Avon Roadriders. A bunch of us have used Pirelli Sport Demons (which are AWESOME), and several very trustworthy GSR members (BWringer in particular) who have used a variety of brands including both the Roadriders and the Sport Demons like the Avons because they perform almost as well as the Pirellis at a much better price.

I personally consider using "the best" tires as cheap life insurance, but my next time around I would consider the Roadriders because they last longer than the Pirellis while giving up almost nothing in performance. This, according to people I trust entirely.

Regards,

Comment

The Kendras are a nice tire that are "Less Expensive" And Ive never felt them to a cheap tire. Its H rated, nice tread pattern and runs on average $60

Comment

Kenda + rain = a hard fall.

On the other hand, Shinko, a division of Yokohama, makes excellent inexpensive tires.

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy View Post
                      If you want "cheap" (they prefer "inexpensive") without sacrificing performance, check out the Avon Roadriders. A bunch of us have used Pirelli Sport Demons (which are AWESOME), and several very trustworthy GSR members (BWringer in particular) who have used a variety of brands including both the Roadriders and the Sport Demons like the Avons because they perform almost as well as the Pirellis at a much better price.

I personally consider using "the best" tires as cheap life insurance, but my next time around I would consider the Roadriders because they last longer than the Pirellis while giving up almost nothing in performance. This, according to people I trust entirely.

Regards,

If you go with Avons, I would suggest looking a 3.25 x 19 for front and 120 width rear, it is closer to stock sizes. My 650G felt a little quicker in transition with these as opposed to the 130 rear. Unfortunately, I had poor luck with the Avon rear tire developing stress cracks and so I ditched it in favor of the Shinko 230. It seems fine but a little less nimble.

Comment

Tire ratings: H = Highly over-designed. V = Very highly over-designed. With our idiot provincial racing/stunt driving laws, my bike and/or license would disappear at 150 kph (94 mph) anyway.

Checking a couple of Canadian dealers shows good availability of various Bridgestone and Pirelli bias tires and lots of those new-fangled radial thingies. I think I will install BT45s and go up to a 120/90 on the rear as suggested by Nessism. The Pirelli Sport Demons only cost a few bucks more than the BT45s for similar sizes and ratings. Friends here report that the BT45s will last longer than the Demons.

I did consider the Avons, but dealers here don't stock as many sizes and I am somewhat concerned about the sidewall cracking reports. Other brands I looked at (Michelin, Dunlop) only have 130/90 rears available. There probably isn't any direct comparison between car and motorcycle tires, but I have always preferred Michelins on the cages. The Dunlops on one cage were toast at 40,000 km.

Jim
                        1981 GS550T (Long gone)

Comment

Jim,

I would suggest you PM Brian Wringer (BWringer) directly regarding the Avon Roadriders. He has had numerous sets of them in recent years (he rides a LOT and is amongst the most "spirited" riders I've ever seen off a racetrack). He should be able to speak to any cracking issues with that particular model. Also, if you prefer not to PM him you can simply search other "tire threads" in the last few years you'll find that Brian very thoroughly covered his experiences with several brands.

If I'm not mistaken, there is/was another very similar sounding Avon model that HAS had issues, but I don't believe it was the Roadrider so be sure before you rule them out.

*(had a brain-fart here, but TKent corrects me below ... so I'll leave it) Also, regarding bias ply versus radial, in my opinion there is no comparison. When I swapped the Pirelli Sport Demons on to my GS is was as if somebody stuck a twenty year more modern suspension on the bike ... the improvement in performance and confidence was THAT dramatic! The PO had older Dunlops on the bike, so the age of the tires may also have played in to the sudden improvement I experienced.

In any case, sounds like you're on the right track ... Enjoy!
                          Last edited by Guest; 04-21-2011, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy View Post

Also, regarding bias ply versus radial, in my opinion there is no comparison. When I swapped the Pirelli Sport Demons on to my GS is was as if somebody stuck a twenty year more modern suspension on the bike ... the improvement in performance and confidence was THAT dramatic!
                            Sport Demons are bias ply, there are no radials in our skinny wheel sizes.
                            RoadRiders and Sport demons are both an incredible improvement over 70s technology tires everyone else is peddling, but they are not radials.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                              Sport Demons are bias ply, there are no radials in our skinny wheel sizes.
                              RoadRiders and Sport demons are both an incredible improvement over 70s technology tires everyone else is peddling, but they are not radials.
                              My bad! color my face red, hehe!!!

Maybe I should stop inhaling welding fumes, eh?

Thanks for catching that ... once upon a time I knew that, but spaced out due to trying to juggle fifty-three thoughts at the same time, hehe!

Ok ... nothing to see here ... move along!

Regards,

Comment

Working...
                              X