Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GSJim View Post
    T

I did consider the Avons, but dealers here don't stock as many sizes and I am somewhat concerned about the sidewall cracking reports. Other brands I looked at (Michelin, Dunlop) only have 130/90 rears available. There probably isn't any direct comparison between car and motorcycle tires, but I have always preferred Michelins on the cages. The Dunlops on one cage were toast at 40,000 km.

Jim
    Jim, here's a 2nd vote for the Avons. I've had them on my Thruxton for a year and a half and they were noticeably better than the Metzeler Lasertechs they replaced, specially in the wet.

On another topic, I'm moving to Toronto in June. Do you think the town is big enough for two GS Jims??

Comment

I like my road riders as well.

Ride the hell out of them, and just get a new set every season or 2.

They really aren't a tire meant to last long.

You can lean those bastards hard! Fuuunn.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        RoadRiders and Sport demons are both an incredible improvement over 70s technology tires everyone else is peddling, but they are not radials.
        I'm probably being picky, but would you consider the BT45 to be 70s technology? I think the Metzeler Lasertecs are now old tech, but I don't know about the Bridgestones.

Thanks.

Jim
        1981 GS550T (Long gone)
        1983 GS650G (Rolling rebuild is now a full rebuild.)

Comment

Originally posted by GS Jim View Post
          On another topic, I'm moving to Toronto in June. Do you think the town is big enough for two GS Jims??
          I wondered about this other GS Jim when I saw one of his posts a few weeks ago. I thought maybe I was sleep posting, but that GS1000 looks a lot better than my 650. I also considered that one of us was an impostor, but we have both posted the required pictures of our bikes.

GS Jim, I hope you aren't coming to Toronto for the riding weather, because we are having a terrible spring, with lots of rain, cold weather and occasional snow flurries. With respect to two GSJims in Toronto, we could form a two-man gang and do nasty GS things, like riding 50 kph in school zones, littering the parks with GSResources calling cards and revving our engines loudly at night outside evil sleeping Honda dealers!

With respect to tires (back on topic for a moment), I have heard and understand the forum's support for the Avons. My tire decision has been deferred for a week or two while I deal with some ongoing electrical gremlins that might require sending some money to Eastern Beaver. (Have to watch the cash flow.) I am still leaning toward the BT45s, if only to support a small local shop that can get them for me at a reasonable price.

Jim
          1981 GS550T (Long gone)
          1983 GS650G (Rolling rebuild is now a full rebuild.)

Comment

Originally posted by GSJim View Post
            I wondered about this other GS Jim when I saw one of his posts a few weeks ago. I thought maybe I was sleep posting, but that GS1000 looks a lot better than my 650. I also considered that one of us was an impostor, but we have both posted the required pictures of our bikes.

GS Jim, I hope you aren't coming to Toronto for the riding weather, because we are having a terrible spring, with lots of rain, cold weather and occasional snow flurries. With respect to two GSJims in Toronto, we could form a two-man gang and do nasty GS things, like riding 50 kph in school zones, littering the parks with GSResources calling cards and revving our engines loudly at night outside evil sleeping Honda dealers!

With respect to tires ........ I am still leaning toward the BT45s, if only to support a small local shop that can get them for me at a reasonable price.
            Jim
            After 4 yrs in Luxembourg, I think Toronto weather will be a nice change. In the 4 years I've been here, I think I've worn a t-shirt maybe 10 times, it never gets warm That being said, we have had a rather nice spring. The wifey was in Toronto late March house hunting and reported snow on the ground, while over here I was already riding around on my bikes regularly.

As to the nick names, we can serve as each others alibis.... "no officer, I swear that wasn't me, I was posting on the GSR forum at the time of the alleged misdeads...." but I think I have to ditch my stock 4-2 system before I can join you on some proper hooliganism!!

I've never used the BT45, however friends on another forum said they are fine in the dry, but not so brilliant in the wet. I guess it might depend on the type of riding you'll be doing the your 650.
            Jim

Comment

Working...
            X