GS1150 wheel and suspension mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1150 wheel and suspension mods

Ive been following much information on this topic, and now have jumped in with both feet on my GS1150, swapping a 89 GSX 1100 set of wheels and the front end. I also added an 89 Ducati Monoshock. All at the recommendations found in this forum

My questions:
    1. What are the caliper, hangar, and rotor options for the 1100 rear wheel?

I have the wheel mounted without brake hangar or caliper. I realize I need new, and will need to relocate the torgue arm and tab on the bottom of the swing arm. Just looking for fitment options as I need to find these parts online (nothing helpful at the spring swapmeet or local salvage yards here in central NJ!)

2. What are the speedo drive options for the front? Am i limited to the 89 1100 drive, or are there other options?

More to come here. Planning to convert to an E from the ES during a complete teardown and restoration, as well as some performance mods to the motor
    thanks-Kevin

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. kkernahan,

Sorry, I can't help you much with your mods, but I do know there are aftermarket speedo/tach gauges that work on our bikes. Feel free to shop around in the vendor list included in your "mega-welcome".

Anyway, let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I use a Koso XRSR Gauge set.

On the back I have a GS1000/850/1100 caliper with the banjo out the back, relieved a little (depending on rotor dia you may or may not need to do this to clear the wheel hub) & a custom cut 10mm thick caliper hanger with a spacer each side of it (hardened washer I picked up from the hardware store).

Others have used older katana rotor & mount along with caliper (that is top mount).

Others have welded to the underside of swingarm & are using the GSXR caliper.
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Thanks BassCliff. I appreciate the welcome, and comments. Looking forward to a successful project.

Salty Monk, on the rear wheel, will the rotor/ caliper options you mentioned work with the GSX 1100 wheel I have(ie older gs parts)?

Comment

Is it a 4.5" katana wheel with 5 bolt rotor? If so then yes I believe you can make it work.
          Your mount will be custom but as long as you can drill the holes accurately and make the right measurements you should ok...
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Yes it is.
            After looking closer at the setup, maybe with the adjustment to the support bracket thickness, It looks as though the stock 1150 caliper may fit after all?

either way need a rotor first, gonna try and match the fronts and fit it all up and try it out....

also, working on speedo drive, then onto other chassis restoration and body work. long way to go.....kk

Comment

Working...
            X