Front forks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front forks

Replaced my front fork seals on my 82 gk2 and found that they differ from my 82 850. I could not understand why I couldn't remove the inner tube with a 19 mm nut and rod attached. Upon removal of the tube with a speared piece of oak to stabilize the inner tube, I seen that the inner part to secure to, is equal to a 15/16 's nut. So, this is just FYI. All little heads up! Bob

Originally posted by bmac View Post
    Replaced my front fork seals on my 82 gk2 and found that they differ from my 82 850. I could not understand why I couldn't remove the inner tube with a 19 mm nut and rod attached. Upon removal of the tube with a speared piece of oak to stabilize the inner tube, I seen that the inner part to secure to, is equal to a 15/16 's nut. So, this is just FYI. All little heads up! Bob
    Good to know! I encountered this problem as well, and wondered what size hex was actually in there. Sounds like 24mm. (15/16" = 23.8mm, so close enough).

We had to extract and replace the seals without removing the tubes. Very touchy business.

The mighty GK has 41mm fork tubes, while the other shafties make do with 37mm.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

17mm outer - 14mm inner

I bebuilt (read fought) my GKs forks this winter and learned that a 17mm nut will fit the outer "star" on the damping rod and a 14mm nut will fit the inner one. The metric threaded rod was the expensive part.....

Comment

There must be variations out there? The metric nut I used fit a 15/16 open end wrench. A 22 metric wrench, largest my set goes to, was still small, but not by much. In any event, just a heads up for someone tackling front fork seals on a gk2. Difference between a gk and a gk2? I don't know. I can't see that being different. Bob

Comment

14mm nut measures 22mm diameter

I measured the nut I used, to put in the damping rod on the GK, and found it measured 22mm "outside" diameter. I was sure I had bought 14mm nuts so I looked it up (gotta love the Internet for getting info like this)

And what do I find? A 14mm nut measures 22mm across the flats!!
          So why are they called 14mm then???? I guess because a nylock nut height is 14mm?

Who comes up with this stuff?
          Last edited by Guest; 04-22-2011, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by d_hoffman View Post
            I measured the nut I used, to put in the damping rod on the GK, and found it measured 22mm "outside" diameter. I was sure I had bought 14mm nuts so I looked it up (gotta love the Internet for getting info like this)

And what do I find? A 14mm nut measures 22mm across the flats!!
            So why are they called 14mm then???? I guess because a nylock nut height is 14mm?

Who comes up with this stuff?
            I think you will find that "nut" size is the thread size.

Comment

Ah - didn't know that. Makes sense though because that's the only thing that would be consistent between different kinds/applications of the same nuts.

Still learning something every day

Comment

Very good to know. I will keep that in mind. 14 does ring a bell though when I bought the nut and rod. I really wasn't paying attention to the sales person, I just needed a nut to fit. I got standard coarse threaded rod and brazed the nut to the rod. Bob

Comment

Working...
                X