Need Help With Front Forks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help With Front Forks

I just got my front forks off my bike and realized that they do not have a cap screw of any kind. they are Pnumatic, and the air valve is recessed down into the top of the pipe with absolutely nothing to get a wrench around. I can't find a drawing that shows this configuration. I have an 82 GS550lZ.

Don't think "wrench", think "socket".

They had to put it in there somehow, it will come out.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Clean it out and you should find a C clip holding it together. Pull the clip out and it should come apart.

Comment

Hi,

Ms. SqDancerLynn1 is correct. The "stopper ring" is #27 in the parts fiche picture. You'll need some snap ring pliers or similar.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thank you for your replies, there was a c clip which had been completely disguised by rust and such.
          Another Question: On page 628 of my service manual, it says that anytime the forks are dissembled the outer and inner "anti friction" metals must be replaced along with the oil seal. I believe what they are referring to is parts 22 and 14 in the parts fisch provided by BassCliff. Is this true? or can I just make sure they are not too worn and keep using them? If so, what would lead me to believe they were worn enough to replace?

Comment

Working...
          X