GS550E - lowering forks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550E - lowering forks?

Sitting my '78 GS750E and my '79 GS550E side-by-side the 750 has a noticable nose-down stance .. which looks great. The 550 however noticeably higher at the front and a quick visual inspection indicates the forks stautions are higher than the 750. Is there anyway to modify the fork assembly on the 550 to lower it "a bit" without significantly sacrificing suspension travel?

Put new springs in the 750, it has sagged.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Put new springs in the 750, it has sagged.

Cool. How do I collapse the springs on the 550?

Comment

the front can be lowered by loosening the triple clamps and sliding the fork up. with standard bars however, you'll only get a quarter inch at most. i ordered clip on bars for this purpose. if you look at the fork in this pic of my bike you can see its sticking up about 1.5" and thats where the clip ons are going to mount.

Comment

You could use handlebar risers (maybe with drag bars) to permit sliding the fork tubes up in the triple clamp, which will change the bike's stance, but not yours.

Comment

Originally posted by JesterMX6 View Post
            the front can be lowered by loosening the triple clamps and sliding the fork up. with standard bars however, you'll only get a quarter inch at most. i ordered clip on bars for this purpose. if you look at the fork in this pic of my bike you can see its sticking up about 1.5" and thats where the clip ons are going to mount.

Yep, I've thought of that but have only just got comfortable with original style bars after running flat-tracker style bars for a number of years.
            I might have a much about with this on the weekend

Comment

Working...
            X