biggest front tire size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

biggest front tire size

my front tire is bald. it is a 100/90-19. it looks like enough room in there to go a little bigger. anybody gone up a size and what is the biggest i can go?

Why would you want to?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Do you want the biggest that you CAN go or the biggest that you SHOULD go?

I have no idea what the absolute largest tire is that you can stuff in there, but the 100/90-19 that you have there is absolutely PERFECT.

The stock size is 90/90-19, so you are already one size over. The good news, though, is that it removes virtually all of the speedo error.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

RideOn, check out the Avon spec sheet. It' tells you how big you can go depending on your rim size (at least for Avon tires).

Comment

Hi,

If you put a bigger tire up front you will loose some quickness in your handling and it will feel a little heavier. I've been running a 110/90-19 on the front of my 850 but I think I'll go with the 100/90 when I get a new set of tires this summer.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

another option in Michelin Pilot Activ:

Last edited by Guest; 04-28-2011, 02:56 PM.

Comment

last year i replaced the rear tire with factory size, but the handling is a little different in turns. i've put some miles on it since and front tire is about worn out. that may be the entire problem, in conjunction with two different tread patterns.

Comment

Originally posted by rideOn View Post
                last year i replaced the rear tire with factory size, but the handling is a little different in turns. i've put some miles on it since and front tire is about worn out. that may be the entire problem, in conjunction with two different tread patterns.
                Quite likely..... worn, scalloped front tires degrade handling significantly. I agree with Cliff's comments above. Bigger/wider doesn't always mean better when it comes to tires. My 1000 has 100/90 size in the front and it really needs to be muscled into the turns when riding briskly. My tires will need replacement later this season and I intend to go back to stock sizes.

Comment

Working...
                X