Changing Steering Head Bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing Steering Head Bearings

So after searching I think I understand how to get the actual steering head bearings out - essentially using a Dremel to cut through the race and then some kind of a punch or something to knock out the old bearings.

But, are the following steps the process I would use to do so?
    • Brace and lift front of the bike
    • Remove forks - I'd be changing out the springs and seals too
    • Remove the triple clamps?
    • Knock out bearings?
    • Install new ones - getting them from Z1 so do I need to grease them?
    • Insert forks, wheel and lower front end?

What am I missing? How much time should I give myself for all of it seeing as how this is my first time? Are there any other tools I need to buy to do this? I'd hope not as I want to get my front end done before Brown County.

Thanks all
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

You have it described to a tee. Apart from sometimes you have to beat the hell out of the old bearings to shift them.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

You can build a press to press them in. Park tools makes one for bicycles but I've made one out of wood and a bolt between each piece to tighten down and press them in. Whenever I use grease I use the white axle grease from napa with zero problems.

Shouldn't take more than 45 min if its your first time if you pay extreme attention to detail to dissassemble everything excluding the forks for seals. I would recommend using steel wool inside the head tube before installing the new bearings. Keep note of the alignment of the race.

All the steps you listed are what I would do except I would install the bearings before even working on my forks.

Good luck, its really not hard but give yourself 2 hours incase something happens you don't know how to handle.

This is the tool http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=33747 it will cost $5 to make.
      Last edited by Guest; 04-29-2011, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger View Post
        You can build a press to press them in. Park tools makes one for bicycles but I've made one out of wood and a bolt between each piece to tighten down and press them in. Whenever I use grease I use the white axle grease from napa with zero problems.

Shouldn't take more than 45 min if its your first time if you pay extreme attention to detail to dissassemble everything excluding the forks for seals. I would recommend using steel wool inside the head tube before installing the new bearings. Keep note of the alignment of the race.

All the steps you listed are what I would do except I would install the bearings before even working on my forks.

Good luck, its really not hard but give yourself 2 hours incase something happens you don't know how to handle.

This is the tool http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=33747 it will cost $5 to make.

So I will have to grease the new ones? I just remember not having to grease the wheel bearings that I installed a couple weeks ago.

Why would I want to do the bearings before doing the forks?

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

The fork bearings are tapered roller bearings similar to front wheel bearings on a rear wheel drive car. They come without grease so they have to be greased.

Comment

What Dan said, some places have grease on bearings already but its always better to put your own on. I take a finger and pull out enough to generously coat the inside and outside of the bearings and also lightly coat the steering stem as well.

You don't have to do the bearings before the forks, its just something I do. I like to get everything easy done first then come back to the more detailed things so I know I haven't forgot anything prior to reinstalling everything but also so once the forks are done you can just go right into assembly.
            Last edited by Guest; 04-29-2011, 02:03 PM.

Comment

My machinist didn't press the lower one on.

He used a halogen lamp, turned the head over and put the bearing on it to heat up

He would measure the bearing ID every few minutes, when it was large enough he dropped it right into place.
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I put the bearing in the oven at around 150 degrees for a few minutes and put the shaft in the freezer. Not exactly drop in but it had to be easier than not doing it this way.
                sigpic

82 GS850
                78 GS1000
                04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                .................________-|___\____
                ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

I'm lost Octain. Based on the fiche pictures I didn't see a shaft. Am I missing something?

Edit: Never mind. Do you mean part number 3 here?

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Yup....
                    I dont know what its called. But yeah.
                    sigpic

82 GS850
                    78 GS1000
                    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                    .................________-|___\____
                    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Bearings

This may be of help. It lists all bikes that have the same bearing sizes, usefull if you are considering a front end swop as well!

Compliments of "a member on another forum", Sorted by size, upper and lower. Just find yours and you can see what else shares the same size for a swapping donor. Japanese Bike Steering Stem Bearing Sizes Upper: 22.5 x 41 x 12.5 Lower: 24 x 41 x 12.5 Honda MB-5-50 (82) Honda MR-50/K1...

Regards to all.
                      Bozza

Comment

bottom steering head bearing

The bottom steering head bearing presses onto the bottom of the triple tree.

Mine was tapped on with a rectangular punch - hitting opposing sides alternatively so that it slipped on evenly.

Johno

current rides 1981 GS1000G and 2005 GSX1400
                        1977 Kawasaki KZ400 D4

previous bikes 1978 GS1000HC
                        1977 GS400
                        1974 Montesa 250
                        1960s Kawasaki 175

Comment

prepare the shaft

Make sure that you smooth off the shaft by sanding it with 380 the 800 grit.

When dismantling the front end take lots of pictures so that you know where the cables go and tag your electrical connections.

Johno

1977 Kawasaki KZ400 D4

1977 GS400
                          1974 Montesa 250
                          1960s Kawasaki 175

Comment

My thread on steering head bearings

Here's my thread on replacing my steering head bearings.

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.
                            Johno

1977 Kawasaki KZ400 D4

1977 GS400
                            1974 Montesa 250
                            1960s Kawasaki 175

Comment

Thanks Johno, I must have missed your thread. I appreciate it.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Working...
                              X