'83 GS1100GL rear axle fitment question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'83 GS1100GL rear axle fitment question

Last summer I picked up an 1100GL at an estate auction. She hadn't been on the road since '93. The bike looks new (always garaged here in Arizona) and was my winter project. Working around other projects I have the bike almost road ready, carb's are overhauled and synchronized, new fuel valve, all fluids, etc. etc. and she runs beautifully. I put new Dunlops on it and when mounting the rear rim I ran into glitch. I mounted the rim, put the inner spacer on, the caliper mount and then the outer spacer and found that there is a gap to the right side of the swingarm. Not much but enough to cause my concern. I confirmed that it's correctly assembled and not missing anything. Is this gap normal? The axle draws in easily and at proper torque the castle nut is spaced perfectly with the stub protruding a proper distance, the hole nicely in one of the castle nut spaces and the gap drawn in. I don't believe the gap is normal even though she assembled fine. Should I look deeper or should I wash the bike and take it for a spin? The gap is about the thickness of a fat washer (like the axle nut washer). Thanks .... Frank

Before you take it for a spin, I would put in a flat washer to take up the space.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

My 850 is the direct opposite to your 1100. It is about 1mm too tight when fitting up the spacers on the caliper side.

I'd just ride it and see how it handles. You won't pull the rear wheel out of alignment, as the diff mounting area on the swing arm is pretty beefy on that side.
      :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
      GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
      GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
      GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
      http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

I thank the both of you for the replies. I gave it some thought today. The castle nut is perfectly positioned with the hole for the safety pin exactly where you'd expect to see it, the wheel hub doesn't rub on the final drive housing, caliper mounting stand is perfectly positioned and caliper centered .. the glitch is in the swingarm. The axle is the big telltale, if I had a worn part, bad part, wrong part then when tightened, the axle nut would be off, something worn would set the castle nut further in on the axle and if I add a washer then the nut wouldn't sit deep enough on the axle to reveal the safety pin hole. Conclusion is that the swingarm is slightly spread. If anyone reading this has experienced similar please post and put me at ease, I'm a nut (no pun intended) on things being correct and to spec. I'll add a picture of the castle nut position if I can .. that's the only non-technical way to measure the distance from side to side to indicate worn hubs, collapsed bearings, bearing center support, etc.

Comment

Working...
        X