Special Fork Tool II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Special Fork Tool II

This is II because I just read the other thread that is active and didn't want to hi jack it.

I built the 2 foot tool and took both forks apart without using it... Anyways, I put one fork back together and realized it was missing the brass washer. So, I loosened the bolt but I can't get the bolt off because it just spins. Now, the fork tool to the rescue, sort of. I put the tool in the fork to try to stop it from spinning with no luck. The bolt just spins and there isn't anything in the fork for the tool to lock onto. The piece that spins is flat with no edges. Any suggestions on how to get to bolt back out?

I have an 83 GS650.
    Thanks

My damper rod doesnt have a hex in the end to allow use of the special tool so I was advised to invert the fork and use a broom handle to stop it spinning.

Good luck

Tom

Comment

use fork spring

One way that will work is to reassemble the forks. Put fork tube back in along with the fork spring and the spacer. Spin the top cap back on. The tention of the spring against the dampener should hold it from spinning. Worked for me. I also used an electic impact. And I know what you may be thinking - great, I have to reassemble it just to take it apart again.
      Last edited by Guest; 05-05-2011, 09:57 PM.

Comment

one more idea

Would this "F" tool help? I bought it because the manual said to - but it doesn't work on GK forks. If your dampening rod does not have a star pattern what are you going to use to hold it in place when you torque down that screw? The manual said mine needed to be around 20 ft/lbs

If you think you could use the "F" tool pictured to the left of the dampening rod send me a PM. It's for sale. I sure don't need it.

Comment

if no oil in the fork and the fork is off the bike just use the spring in the tube and hold it aganst a wall. The tube will collaspe all the way down, letting the spring hold the tension on the damper rod. Take the rod out and see what fitting you need for next time.

Comment

Broom stick did the trick! Thanks, hope this thread helps others with similar bikes.

Comment

Working...
            X