Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i found where to add air but where to add oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i found where to add air but where to add oil?

So I see where the valves are to add air to the fork tubes but how do you add oil to them & how much?

To add the PROPER amount of oil, the forks really need to be off the bike. You need to unscrew the cap on the top of the tube (that's where the air fitting is), remove the spring, compress the forks and measure the level from the top of the tube to the oil.

If you want to do a "quick and dirty" method, remove the air fittings from the tops of the fork tubes, but do not remove the entire large cap. Drain the oil from the drain screws at the bottom. When you feel comfortable that all the oil is out, put the drain screws back in. Use a syringe to measure out the proper amount of oil, inject it through the air fitting hole. make sure you use the same amount on both sides. Not as accurate, but probably sufficient.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi,

The amount should be in your manual.

Look at these articles for some background (PDF files).

Install Progressive Fork Springs

Fork Seal Replacement

Fork Seal Replacement
      (by Mr. Matchless)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
      Last edited by Guest; 05-07-2011, 03:25 AM.

Comment

thank you so very much bass, your (How to's) are damn helpful & rite to the point. Will be a lifesaver for some time to come.

So off subject for a moment, my buddy was over here yesterday looking over my bike and razzin me bout it being a suzuki and givin me a way to go about it sayin i gotta be in 4-5th gear b4 i hit 55 and all it takes him and his (harley) is 1 gear etc etc. Bustin my balls sayin i shoulda done this and that yadda yadda. I just tried to shrug it off cuz i know what i want and i know the kind of things i am able to do w/ this bike & what the future holds for it in comparison to his big bad harley as he puts it, it is nice dont get me wrong its a full dresser etc and crackles and rumbles like a bad thunderous storm but just something i laughed at (may it be minor) was the little tool bag suzuki gives you to take care of most major/minor things you come across on your model of bike, no its not a toolbox but it gives you waht you need IE screw drivers,allen wrench, special nut wrenches, pry bars etc etc. Harley gives you an all in one allen wrench set w/ screwdriver tips on the end of an allen and thats it!! Cant do nothing w/ those! Anyway thought i'd share my goofy story w/ ya. Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Twlzt3d View Post
          thank you so very much bass, your (How to's) are damn helpful & rite to the point. Will be a lifesaver for some time to come.

So off subject for a moment, my buddy was over here yesterday looking over my bike and razzin me bout it being a suzuki and givin me a way to go about it sayin i gotta be in 4-5th gear b4 i hit 55 and all it takes him and his (harley) is 1 gear etc etc. Bustin my balls sayin i shoulda done this and that yadda yadda. I just tried to shrug it off cuz i know what i want and i know the kind of things i am able to do w/ this bike & what the future holds for it in comparison to his big bad harley as he puts it, it is nice dont get me wrong its a full dresser etc and crackles and rumbles like a bad thunderous storm but just something i laughed at (may it be minor) was the little tool bag suzuki gives you to take care of most major/minor things you come across on your model of bike, no its not a toolbox but it gives you waht you need IE screw drivers,allen wrench, special nut wrenches, pry bars etc etc. Harley gives you an all in one allen wrench set w/ screwdriver tips on the end of an allen and thats it!! Cant do nothing w/ those! Anyway thought i'd share my goofy story w/ ya. Cheers!

Heh, I musta got ripped off. I didnt get any little allen tools with my Harley. I didnt get any tools at all with my Harley.
          Always been kinda a joke among my friends. The Japanese bikes come with tool kits and the Harleys dont. Hmm, must tell ya something.

Dont mind your bud, just ride and have fun. He's just razzin you to justify paying too much for a bike. Tell him baggers are for old folks who need the extra room for a change of diapers.
          sigpic

82 GS850
          78 GS1000
          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
          .................________-|___\____
          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by Twlzt3d View Post

Yea, your buddy doesn't know much about these bikes then. I was in 3rd gear yesterday sitting at 55mph before I realized I needed to shift.
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Hi,

My 3rd gear is good for 30mph - 90mph.

What's the saying?

"A Harley is the most efficient way to convert gasoline to noise and vibration without the side effect of horsepower."

I know that is a stereotype and not applicable in all circumstances. But it's still amusing.

And before you say anything, I have a few good friends who ride Harleys.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
              Last edited by Guest; 05-07-2011, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                What's the saying?

"A Harley is the most efficient way to convert gasoline to noise and vibration without the side effect of horsepower."
                Here ya go, Cliff:

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I was ridin with a couple HD's a few days ago.

They ain't got **** when it comes to riding anything other than a straight line.
                  Even my little 650 was dusting him in the twisties.

These suzukis pull HARD in the higher Rpms.....remember that.
                  (well most of them do I think)
                  Last edited by Guest; 05-10-2011, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X