forks on a gs750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

forks on a gs750

i bought a 78 gs750 to customize. i am lowering it, making it into a bobber, putting differant fenders and tank on it. well wanting something differant than what you normaly see. my question is this i lowered the back end and now i want to lower the front forks. it looks like i could just take the forks apart and cut 2" off the bottom spring and get the outcome that i want. im just not sure if it will bottom out or not. does any one know how much more the upper fork tube can go down past stock with out bottoming out. i thought if that would not work maybe i could swap out the upper fork tubes for some two inches shorter but dont know which bike has the same uppers as mine. does anyone have any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. lee,

Actually, this part of the forum is for questions about usage and operation of the forum itself. There is also a "Tires/Brakes/Suspension" section further down the main forum page under the Technical heading. Your question will probably be seen more in that section.

The short answers is, yes, cutting off your springs will allow you to bottom out. Lowering your clearance means you will scrape stuff too. I guess that's OK if you don't plan on turning.

Anyway, let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I'm not sure about your set up but most people just raise the fork tubes in the triples.

Comment

Compare fork lengths here:
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

If you're making it a bobber anyway use clipons above or below the top triple. Then you can pull the forks up in the clamps as far as you want to. Above the triple would give you a drag bar look and feel and hide some of the fork that's been raised. Again, disco volante is your friend.

Comment

Working...
          X