Suprise when replacing fork seals, extra long springs. + fork tool question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suprise when replacing fork seals, extra long springs. + fork tool question

Ok, So i finally had some time to get down and dirty on the bike today. I meant to change the fork seals, replace the choke cable, replace the grips, cut out the stripped oil cover bolt and change the oil. What a day.

I almost got it all finished but one of my fork seals wont pop under pressure. I got out the bike pump and pumped it up to 200psi and did the rest of my jobs and it still hasn't popped yet. Any suggestions? I tried rigging up the special fork tool, but i couldn't figure it out. Each time I use it, the two nuts on the bottom would just come undone. How exactly does it work? I'm still a doofus when it come to mechanics.

And: When I pulled the springs i noticed that the PO had put in springs that are sipnficantly longer than spec. 540mm to be exact, when the stock springs are 420mm. I didn't notice a harsh ride before, is it worth replacing? Progressive springs are only $60...

And: How vital is a seal-driver? I worked the seal in with a air of pliers over a washer and it seems good. I couldn't find a correct PVC pipe to fit at HD.

Thanks!

As long as the seal is seated properly then it'll be fine.....

Not sure about the L models but should be a big Allen bolt on the bottom that you need to hold whilst holding the damper rod with the fork tool... (At least the E models work that way).

On the seal - Have you taken the circlip off? Spray some Kroil or something around the outside of the seal, you can get a thin screwdriver down the side as well to try to get the oil to penetrate past the edge of the seal, careful not to gouge the legs or stanchions...

On fork springs - I suspect a set from a different model has been fitted. If you are happy with them keep them (I suspect your stock ones would have a sizeable spacer on top of them & that's the space these springs are taking up) but Progressive or Sonic springs come highly recommended as an upgrade...

1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
    X