Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oil level and oil capacity don't seem to match.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil level and oil capacity don't seem to match.

I'm putting oil in the forks of my 82 550L right now and seem to have run into a conflict. I filled the forks with the 239ml of oil, pumped them a couple times, and then pushed the inner tube all the way down. My manual says the oil level should be 144ml but my dipstick is saying it is much lower than that. Why would this be? and should I bring the level up to the recommended 144ml?
    This has been a complete fork tear apart, so there was no oil left in the forks at all.

Maybe its fully extended with the springs installed. If the forks where drained and empty and thats the correct amount to put in i would just bolt it back together. have you the proper suzuki manual that you might be able to download from Basscliffs website or just a Haynes manual

Comment

Yes, I have the correct manual. The actual level from the top of the tube is 155mm. Should I stick to the correct volume measurement of 239, or should I should I go for the correct level from the top of the tube?
      Springs are out and the tube is fully compressed.
      Last edited by Guest; 05-10-2011, 10:03 PM.

Comment

That is a very good question.
        After draining every last drop out of all of mine, I have always just filled with the proper amount per fork tube.
        Never had a problem in decades.

Daniel

Comment

I'd go distance from the top

Overfill them as bit and pump them back down to the correct level per Basscliff's tutorial
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

The level is much more important than the quantity. Actually it's the size of the airspace above the oil that matters, but that is set by adjusting the oil level.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I just finished my forks 1979 GS 1000

With the springs out of the fork and the tubes collapsed all the way, I removed them from the triples to be able to get them vertical, then added 200 ml to each, then kept adding oil until it just touched the tape measure that I had set to 5.5". If I went a little over, I just poured out a small amount until it was exactly 5.5", as per the instructions that came with my Progressive springs, because the new springs have more volume than stock springs.
              1979 GS 1000

Comment

I agree the measured level is more important than the quantity of oil added.

When going over my 1100G forks, I had to add significantly more oil than the service manual said to reach proper level.

It is also possible to alter fluid levels to affect the way your suspension responds.

Comment

Originally posted by waterman View Post
                  I agree the measured level is more important than the quantity of oil added.

When going over my 1100G forks, I had to add significantly more oil than the service manual said to reach proper level.

It is also possible to alter fluid levels to affect the way your suspension responds.
                  Ditto on this, I just rebuilt the forks on my '82gs1100gl and had to add more than the book stated to get the correct measurement from the top of the fork. Not much, but maybe 5-10ml.

Comment

Working...
                  X