Changing for seals hlep please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing for seals hlep please...

***Realized i miss spelled help and missed the "k" in fork, sorry little stressed ***

Hello all, i am at a dead end, i have the manual and any guild or video i can find online. But i can not for the life of me get the old fork seals off.

82 gs850l

I did the following in the order its listed

-released air pressure and removed air thread thingy
    -Removed the top cap of the fork where you put the air in
    -moved spring and all stuff on top of it
    -drained oil
    -removed the little bent piece of metal on top the seals used to help hold it down
    -Undid the 8mm allen bolt on the bottom of the fork.

I cant get the fork off. i cant get the outer tube off. i am stuck, tried a screw driver or any object i thought could help remove it, at this point im not even worried about scratching the forks i just want to get it off

help plzz

Scarlett
    Last edited by Guest; 05-12-2011, 08:09 PM.

If the big Allen bolt is out then the damper rod should slide out at that point from memory.

You then use the inside & outside like a slide hammer i.e. hold the bottom of the fork firmly or clamp in a vice using caliper mounts so you don't damage fork leg & then push the chrome leg all the way in & yank it up hard a couple of times.....

Eventually it'll all come apart (at which point depending on how hard & the angle at which you're yanking you might fall on your *ss!) You might be surprised at the amount of force you need to use if the seals have been in there a while.

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Hold one of the tubes (the large one works better) in a vise, or have a friend (with good hand strength) help you. You basically have to use the two parts of the fork leg like a slide hammer and slide them apart. It will likely take several blows, but they will come apart.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Dan, about 2 seconds after i posted it i saw a post "fork tool II" red that i need to put something in to hold the inside steady and remove the bottom allen bolt the whole way thought when it was lose it was done, lol

So put the spring in and shoved it against a wall and popped the impact driver on it and it all just basically fell out, lol
        Last edited by Guest; 05-12-2011, 08:17 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

I thought it was about whacking fur seals.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

It very well could have been

Comment

Make yourself a holder tool for putting them back together if it has a hex or star shape on too of the damper rod...
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Just re assemble the spring and damper and put the cap on before trying to put the bottom Allen screw in. Than put some pressure on it and use an impact to get it in. Don't forget locktite.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Scarlettxoxo89,

You may find some helpful hints on my little website. There are a couple of fork seal replacement guides there.

Anyway, let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                  X