Newly redone forks leaking oil.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newly redone forks leaking oil.

Just got done completely tearing down and putting back together my front forks. took it out for the first ride and they are leaking oil. What could be the cause? I used new seals, and I have the pressure in the forks at about 30 psi.

We might be able to help if you told us where it's leaking from.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I think 30 psi is way too high IMO - try it at around 10psi & see if it stops leaking...

Also, check the fork tubes for pittings or other small "breaks" in the chrome - they will cut the seals & cause a leak.

Did you refill the forks with the proper amount of oil? Perhaps they are overfilled?
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

They are leaking around the seal. And I just checked my manual and it says 36psi is the max.......although if you read farther down it recommends 7. are my seals going to be ruined? or do I just need to refill them with oil and the correct air pressure??
        Last edited by Guest; 05-13-2011, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Are you sure that pressure is for the forks? It seems high. My 82 1100 forks are 7 psi. That sounds like tire pressure to me. I would lower the pressure and see if they stop leaking. At that pressure you are going to push fluid past the seals.

Comment

um how did you put pressure in the forks?

Comment

Seals upside down? Worn collars? Pitted forks? Or maybe you welted the new seal putting them in.
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Hi,

Before I installed Progressive springs I would run about 15-16 psi in the forks. Yes, I think 30 psi is too much. Are your fork tubes smooth? Did you use OEM or aftermarket seals? Did you over-fill the fork oil? Are the spacers too short and letting the forks sag too much? What kind of fork oil did you use?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I used new OEM seals, and I put air in using a bike pump with it's own gauge. The manual says you should not let the forks exceed 36 psi while filling. I learned this upon reading it a little closer.....dang my anxiousness. The manual states that the recommended pressure should be 7.11 psi. So I know that I need to take the forks off again and refill them to the correct level with oil, but I am wondering if I now need to replace the seals again? Have I likely ruined them with too much pressure?

Comment

Originally posted by amontyg View Post
                    I used new OEM seals, and I put air in using a bike pump with it's own gauge. The manual says you should not let the forks exceed 36 psi while filling. I learned this upon reading it a little closer.....dang my anxiousness. The manual states that the recommended pressure should be 7.11 psi. So I know that I need to take the forks off again and refill them to the correct level with oil, but I am wondering if I now need to replace the seals again? Have I likely ruined them with too much pressure?

Check your stanchion tubes for burrs. If the seal got damaged by defects in teh chromed surface you should be able to feel them with your finger nails even if you can`t see them.

Do not worry about the seals so much just redo the oil and pressure settings and see what happens. Fork oil is not so expensive so its just more an issue of time. Non-abrasive chrome cleaner can do a nice job of cleaning up stanchions and can fine steel wool.

Comment

Working...
                    X