• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ugly swingarm weld

Front OK:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Rear ugly:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Does anyone else have this? A previous owner was quite an idiot, and I don't rule out any bumbling repair.
    sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

That looks very "Not Factory" to me. But I will say, Ive seen some really crap ass welds on my 750 project that were. Those arent undercut from what little I can see in the picture. IF you wanted, you could smooth them out with a flap wheel on a grinder and a light touch.They look to have been done hot enough to hold.

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
      A previous owner was quite an idiot, and I don't rule out any bumbling repair.
      Ain't it the truth.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Ain't it the truth.
        that weld is ugly but has pretty good flow to it

Comment

Themess made a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter View Post
            that weld is ugly but has pretty good flow to it

I agree that it may not be a pretty weld but it doesn't look like a bad weld. It might have sagged on the inside some from the heat (because it looks like a rather hot weld) but if it's not touching anything, then I would just leave it. If you're really picky about looks, you can grind it flush and get someone to add some weld into any low spots and smooth those out too.

Comment

Any Japanese would have commited ritual suicide before letting that pass.

Comment

I have to agree, it may not look appealing, but from here, it looks pretty
                thick and okay.

Of course it's a little harder to tell without seeing it In Person.

But my GS has some pretty sloppy welds from the factory too.
                Quite a bunch of jap bikes I've seen have that "visually unappealing" weld trait.
                But the weld are always thick and hot enough.

Comment

My friend always calls those gorilla welds, because they are as strong as they are ugly.

Comment

Thanks, guys. You've eased my concerns. I've only rode this bike 3 miles betore taking things apart. During that hop, I din't hear anything cionsistent with misalignment of the drive shaft hardware. Based on your consensus, it is only a cosmetic defect, and a defect that no one will notice unless the wheel is off. For now, I only want to get it running. Later, I might paint things. If I paint the swingarm, I would use Bondo on that.
                    sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Working...
                    X