Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need shock source recommendations

for my '83 GS450A...

I'm finding that anything for a 450 from '80 - '83 will fit, but I'm looking for ones that are shorter (e.g. lower riding height). I'm not too concerned about the "look" of the shocks (i.e. period correct).

any pointers greatly appreciated

Give us a clue....

What length are your stock one centre to centre? (of the mounting holes when fully extended - i.e. off the bike)

Are they eye to eye or eye to clevis fitment?
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Contact Ikon USA and they will make them any length you want. I recently got a pair of 13.25" aluminum 7614 series for my vintage racer. Very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
        Give us a clue....

What length are your stock one centre to centre? (of the mounting holes when fully extended - i.e. off the bike)

Are they eye to eye or eye to clevis fitment?
        they are eye-to-eye, will take some measurments...

I do know that OEM's are still available, part # 62100-44500, but will give the Ikon guy a call, thanks

Comment

Ikons are a good shock but you should be able to get progressives or MDI's too (spring will be too hard on MDI unless you're heavy!)

Z1 has a $60 eye to eye shock with 12.75" length if you want cheap.. Prob have to ship the upper eye bush.

Most GS's use a 13" shock.

If you have the cash get the ikons.
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Just ordered a set of Hagons for my GT550. $200 plus shipping. Ordered them from http://www.davequinnmotorcycles.com/ He's a pleasure to deal with and is very knowledgeable. Should have them by the end of the week so I can go riding with them this weekend and post my thoughts on them. Hagon has been around for over 20 years so they must be doing something right.

I don't recommend the MDI shocks unless you're a big guy or like your ride super stiff. I bought a set for my 77 750 and it was horrendously hard. Nearly like being on a skinny tire hardtail. I weigh 145 though so I need a softer shock than bigger guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Dead Boy View Post
              Just ordered a set of Hagons for my GT550. $200 plus shipping. Ordered them from http://www.davequinnmotorcycles.com/ He's a pleasure to deal with and is very knowledgeable. Should have them by the end of the week so I can go riding with them this weekend and post my thoughts on them. Hagon has been around for over 20 years so they must be doing something right.

I don't recommend the MDI shocks unless you're a big guy or like your ride super stiff. I bought a set for my 77 750 and it was horrendously hard. Nearly like being on a skinny tire hardtail. I weigh 145 though so I need a softer shock than bigger guys.
              Let us know how the Hagons work for you, I bought them for my 650, now I have a bone jarring ride.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I have a few spare sets of 82 1100E shocks, eye to clevis, should be about 13.25" - they yours for shipping only if you use them. (Adjustable damping and spring pre-load...) Send me a PM if you're interested.
                Scott
                1982 GS1000S #1 bought in 84, #2 gone, #3 in hibernation
                1983 GS1100ES #1 (bought in 03, July 09 BOM, 65k traded in 17), #2 New daily rider, #3 in hibernation
                1982 GS1100E Red #1 - Original owner, sold in 93, #2 (Red) sold in 20 to Andy B
                2018 Gold Wing Tour - new out of the crate 1st non-Suzuki in 38 years
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  Let us know how the Hagons work for you, I bought them for my 650, now I have a bone jarring ride.
                  Crap. That is NOT what I wanted to hear. He did say that I get two times to respring the shocks if they're not right for me the first time. Do you think the damping is too stiff or just the springs?

Comment

I think the compression damping is much too high. The springs sag the correct amount, so it's not that.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Dead Boy View Post

after telling him about my bike, my ride style/preference, and my height/weight, he recommended a shock/spring combo that I purchased.

going from 28 year old OEM units, the new Hagon's are a bit stiffer by comparison, but I'm pleased the purchase.

Comment

I went with Progressive 412 rears, pretty tight but they improved the handling a lot. Mine pushed the rear down while on the center stand, they provide control over a larger range than the OEM shocks did.
                        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
                        X