fork boots-gaitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fork boots-gaitors

1978 GS1000 Well getting down to hopefully last system on bike rebuild to ride. Am at stage of rebuilding front forks. Seals, progressive springs and progressive shocks and springs for rear. Can anyone of you GS Guru's tell if these gaiters will work on my forks or any suggestions, recommendations greatly appreciated. Wanting to use gaiters as under impression will save fork seals and have spent six months on bike and want to ride not redo a screw-up . Thanks in advance for all help. Ray.

I put them on my GS and they fit great.

Place your GS tire, suspension or brake related questions in this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by afholderman View Post
      I put them on my GS and they fit great.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171228
      Are these the same as you used and how are they holding up. Thanks for the quick reply. Ray.

Comment

I have gaiters on mine. They came from a set of shocks that I put on my Jeep, didn't want them there trapping crud and ruining my shocks.

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
          I have gaiters on mine. They came from a set of shocks that I put on my Jeep, didn't want them there trapping crud and ruining my shocks.
          cycle recycle great idea don't ya just love when things go that easy.

Comment

Those are the same kind I have, same size and everything. They fit directly in place of the old dust covers, not over them. I haven't had them long so I can't really speak to how well they hold up, but the rubber is thick and flexible.

Comment

Originally posted by afholderman View Post
              Those are the same kind I have, same size and everything. They fit directly in place of the old dust covers, not over them. I haven't had them long so I can't really speak to how well they hold up, but the rubber is thick and flexible.
              Great to know. Much appreciated. The thing I didn't ask is are our forks the same dimensions etc.?

Comment

That I do not know, I have a 1000 also. I'd look it up to be sure.

Comment

They work great for keeping the crap off your forks and thus saving them from pitting. Just make sure you get a good pair made out of proper rubber - there's loads of cheap junk out there that will crack within 3 months and let the muck in (which is the worst thing that can happen).
                  79 GS1000S
                  79 GS1000S (another one)
                  80 GSX750
                  80 GS550
                  80 CB650 cafe racer
                  75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                  75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
                  X