Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 front end swap

I'm new to this forum, go easy on me

I purchased a 79 GS850 in pretty good condition but the front forks are a little pitted. I would like to completely replace the front forks and would love to have something more modern I intend on converting it into a cafe racer

I have started taking it apart as you can see on the picture. Any suggestions as to what I can do with the front??
    Thanks

Thanks for sharing your links in your sig line.
    I am currently replacing the 37mm forks on one of my GS's with the 41mm forks from a '93 GSXR1100.(GSX1100) ?
    I am using the triple tree from an '82 GS1100GK so it is basically a bolt on.
    I will have to change the fender mounting and perhaps the caliper adapter's also as I am also using
    calipers from a '97 GSXR750.
    Sorry, no pic's yet. Just something to think about for your project.

Daniel
    Last edited by Guest; 05-19-2011, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
      Thanks for sharing your links in your sig line.
      I am currently replacing the 37mm forks on one of my GS's with the 41mm forks from a '93 GSXR1100.
      I am using the triple tree from an '82 GS1100GK so it is basically a bolt on.
      I will have to change the fender mounting and perhaps the caliper adapter's also as I am also using
      calipers from a '97 GSXR750.
      Sorry, no pic's yet. Just something to think about for your project.

Daniel
      Thanks for the info, I would like to see pictures of yours.
      I have never taken a front fork/tree apart so I'm not sure how it all ties up.
      I'm going to do a search on a 82 GS1100GK now

Comment

If I get time, I'll take some pic's later today to compare them side by side so you can see the differences/similarities.
        I was told that the GK's never came with 41mm forks, obviously they did.

Daniel

Comment

Most late 80's to mid 90's forks are a 90% bolt on. You have to watch the length on GXSR forks, some are too short. I'm using 94 Katana forks on mine, simple swap
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Anyway, without the side-by-side,
            here are a couple of pic's of sort of what my Cooley will be looking like:

Daniel

Comment

My suggestion is to put it back together..... Want to modify something then start with a chain... Shaft is hard to modify and that one looks decent...
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Cool another 850 guy in Jersey! Welcome to the site!

I have the same bike, and once had thoughts of making a Cafe out of him. Then I realized I like riding the bike way to much to start chopping him up and putting him on a diet. I'm not saying it can't be done, because it can and people here have done it. Some guy even made a monster cafe out of shaft drive 1100

It is your bike however, and if you want to cafe it then go for it. Don't let nay sayers stop you.

In my case though some lower bars and modern rubber and brake components SERIOUSLY improved the handling and performance.

Anyways welcome to the site I'm sure your can find answers to your questions. I however have no idea about swapping forks

Comment

Working...
                X