Hagon rear shock review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hagon rear shock review

I just purchased a set of Hagon rear shocks for my 1975 GT550 (I know, not a GS) and figured since I couldn't find any recent reviews of their twin shocks I would put my .02 on the internet to possibly help others out in their suspension decisions.

First off, these are for my GT550, which is eye to eye and available in more lengths and possibly damping rates than the eye to clevis that are on our beloved GS's. I would suggest taking this into account if you look into purchasing a set for your GS.

Short list:
    1975 Suzuki GT550
    I weigh 148 LBS (MDI's killed me on every bump)
    Hagon type B black slimline springs 16KG spring rate 12.6" eye to eye
    Paid $207.58 shipped
    Overall I'm happy with them for the price.

I got them from http://www.davequinnmotorcycles.com/ I called Monday afternoon to purchase them and Dave was very helpful and attentive. Went through all the things on the site about tailoring the shocks to me and my bike. I felt all necessary variables were discussed and clearly understood. I ended up going with 12.6" shocks over the stock 11.5" because I'm planning on putting a GS750 front end on it and will get about a .5" higher front end that way. He recommended 12", but that's what were on the bike already and I wanted to keep the same clearance and turn in characteristics. Shocks were shipped Tuesday and they arrived on Thursday.

First impression out of the box is that they are good looking shocks aside from the hideous Hagon logo at the bottom. Thankfully, that is a sticker and removable. Rubber bushings with steel inserts instead of plastic.

Got them installed and took a short ride today( about 20 miles) on some pretty bumpy roads. I'm happy with them. Not exuberant, but content. They are much improved over the stock 35 year old shocks that they replaced. They are a bit stiff, but not painfully so and don't give the hardtail effect the MDI shocks do. I tend to prefer a stiffer shock than stock anyway. I felt more confident going into and through corners than previously. They are more solid feeling than the old ones were. I plan on getting in a longer ride next weekend on the great roads West of Madison to get a better impression of how I like them, but for now they are plenty good for the price.

As far as being perfect, they're not. I was considering getting the Nitro shocks, but they start at $494 a set. These do the job nicely for less than half the price. I'm not tearing up turns on the GT, it's a fun bike, but not my carver. I have a 2000 ZX6R for that.

The best thing about the hagons other than the price is you can get so many combinations. I bought a set of used ones for my GS750E a while back for $75 and they have worked fine and were a noticeable improvement over worn out stock.

P.S. I left my Hagon sticker on

quite a bit more, but supposed to be full adjustable damping/preload and rebuildable

Last edited by posplayr; 05-21-2011, 08:52 PM.

Comment

A little update:

Got out Saturday for a longer ride even though it was overcast, a bit windy, and in the lower 60's. Put just under 200 miles on them and I have to say that I am very happy with them for the money. Are there better shocks out there? Sure, for more money. As I said, for the money, they are very competent and I have no complaints about them whatsoever.

The rear end is firmly planted in the corners and straights. No more wallowing I was experiencing with the stockers. Damping is at a good rate. Stiffer than stock, but nowhere near painful or a jolting when riding bumpy roads.

Pics of them mounted:

Comment

Working...
      X