Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leaking Fork Seals: What parts do I need to replace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jason the terminator View Post
    Tried this today and didn't work.
    Spray them with some PB Blaster around the outside edges and give the air compressor some time. I've heard of it taking 10 minutes or even longer for the air to blow out the seals, though mine were almost instant once they reached ~160psi. If the seals can't hold back the air or you have leaks elsewhere it might not work.

Time and pressure...

Comment

Originally posted by cal_look_zero View Post

The perfect cheap (if you already have the tools) damper holder. That's a standard 5/8" sparky socket inverted and 18" of extensions. Easier than trying to fab up something.

LOL!
      Don't you own a REAL extension?

Just kidding, but I also have a drawer filled with all sizes of extensions....I think If I hooked 'em all together, I would get "0" lbs of force.....lol

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
        Hi,

Have a look at these PDF files:

Fork Seal Replacement

Fork Seal Replacement
        (by Mr. Matchless)

Look in the parts fiche. If your forks are similar to mine you've got an O-ring at the top to seal the caps. There's a brass washer on the bottom damper bolt. There's a nylon bushing in the middle (that rarely needs replacing), the dust covers, and the seals themselves. The last time I did my fork seals I replaced only the seals and dust covers. Next time I'll probably replace the O-rings, damper bolt washers, seals, and just check the bushings for excessive wear.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
        Doing some research. Good thread, but the link is dead for Install Progressive Fork Springs
        82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
        80 gs1000s

Comment

Working...
        X