Rear brake pedal adjustment anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear brake pedal adjustment anyone?

I have searched for someone with the same problem as myself but come up empty handed, so here goes.....

Does anyone have a hard time hitting the rear brake pedal with boots on?

I have a nice pair of riding boots and because of their protection they don't flex the same as my foot would in a pair of tennis shoes. I guess the upper part of the boot constricts some movement.

I have tried the obvious pulling the pedal and moving it one spline notch down but that seems to be too far of a reach for my foot.

Does anyone have a suggestion for an adjustment (bending the pedal?) that wont tear it up, but make it more usable in proper riding attire.

What brings this up is a small trip I took with another GS buddy and we drove alot of twisty roads. I like to break first and have my foot on the rear pedal just in case in need a little extra if my corner speed is a little brisk. Maybe I'm not riding the proper way here, but I just don't want to be in a situation that I need both brakes and end up on the ground because my foot couldn't feel the rear brake lever. I also have no desire to see the bones in my ankle sticking out because I wasn't wearing a boot.

Ideas please..

Jim
    GS Score Card
    4-400 Series GS's
    3-500 Series
    1-600 Series
    1-700 Series
    4-800 Series
    1-1000 Series
    2-1100 series 1982 GS1100G In stable now
    sigpic

What bike? Have a look and see if there's an adjuster at the back of the pedal plus the link to the MC should be adjustable as well.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Sorry, first rule of posting;

1982 GS1100G

No linkage, pedal conects to splined shaft. Don't believe there is any adjuster??????
      GS Score Card
      4-400 Series GS's
      3-500 Series
      1-600 Series
      1-700 Series
      4-800 Series
      1-1000 Series
      sigpic

Comment

All of my 850s and the one 650 in the stable have adjustable links from the back of the pedal to the master cylinder.

A few twists on the adjuster should have your pedal where you like it in no time.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yep, just checked on the fische and you have the standard adjustable pushrod on the MC and you have the adjustment bolt on the back of the pedal.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Hi,

Perhaps different boots?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Basscliff, I guess I deserve that.

I'm a little embarrased! I didn't realize that rear pedal was adjustable for height. I went to my manual and looked at the removal pics and wouln't you know--an adjustment screw.

I've had the bike for 2 years now and an 850 for 2-3 years before that and always wanted to change the position.

I can rebuild a rack of CV carbs with my eyes closed practically and I can't figure out my brake pedal.

I will fall on my screwdriver tonight to bring honor back to my garage and the fine bike that lives there.
              GS Score Card
              4-400 Series GS's
              3-500 Series
              1-600 Series
              1-700 Series
              4-800 Series
              1-1000 Series
              sigpic

Comment

I found that, even with the pedal of my 550 adjusted to its full extension, it was too high for me, causing me to ride with the ball of my foot on the peg.

I solved the problem with adjustable rearsets, but this is kind of an expensive solution.

Comment

Originally posted by jimfj View Post
                  I will fall on my screwdriver tonight to bring honor back to my garage and the fine bike that lives there.
                  LOL!

So gallant! So noble! But unnecessary. I'm glad you got it figured out.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Wow, you use the rear brake?

Before you guys get all uppity and start the "take a riding class" lecturing and everything, that was a JOKE!

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                    X