Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cartridge Emulators + Front end rebuild - What to replace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cartridge Emulators + Front end rebuild - What to replace?

1980 GS1000E

I'm wanting to rebuild my front end and possibly add some racetech cartridge emulators.

2 questions:

1. Has anybody added the racetech cartridge emulators to a gs1000? If so, thoughts/advice?

2. Looking at this diagram, what is worth replacing besides obviously the fork seals #4?

#23, #14, #15 ...?

I am curious why I don't see upper and lower bushings in the diagram...

Does the 1000 not use bushings? That would seem odd.
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

15 & 7 possibly? Checked another site just to be sure and its the same...

???

Comment

Straight rate springs. Valve emulators. You'll have to perform some surgery to the damper rod I do believe. (shut the holes, or is that just on the 1100E) 10wt oil and replace the bushes and seals. Then sort your rear shocks if you haven't already or it will handle silly.

Orrrrrrr. Shop around for a set of ZRX forks and triple, shocks and wheels. Full cartridge forks. Piggy back shocks. 6 piston calipers. Mmm. Guys are getting rid of that stuff all the time on the Rex board when they spend obscene money on Dymags or BST CF wheels. A set of Rex shocks in great shape can be had for less than a set of progressives and they came stock with rebound and compression adjustment as well as preload. It'll be a whole new world of sticky goodness

Comment

Thanks. New Ikons are coming for the back.

ZRX stuff is an excellent idea, but I want to keep her "old school" to a point...just upgrade the tech I have and I'll be happy.

Also got a Tarozzi brace on the way to replace my Telefix.

Comment

Can't go wrong with Sonic straight rate springs, much better than Progressives.... my opinion anyway.
            Our connie sported the Sonic 1.1 springs and I believe Brian is running Sonics in his GS850, very happy with the results.
            Keep in mind suspension is right up there with oil and tire preferences.....

-greg
            Loud pipes saves squirrel lives.....

Comment

Originally posted by wazz View Post
              Can't go wrong with Sonic straight rate springs, much better than Progressives.... my opinion anyway.
              Our connie sported the Sonic 1.1 springs and I believe Brian is running Sonics in his GS850, very happy with the results.
              Keep in mind suspension is right up there with oil and tire preferences.....

-greg
              I also put the Sonics in my BMW...

Comment

Originally posted by 80gs1000e View Post
                1980 GS1000E

I'm wanting to rebuild my front end and possibly add some racetech cartridge emulators.

2 questions:

1. Has anybody added the racetech cartridge emulators to a gs1000? If so, thoughts/advice?

2. Looking at this diagram, what is worth replacing besides obviously the fork seals #4?

#23, #14, #15 ...?

http://www.boulevardsuzuki.com/fiche...1980&fveh=2149
                Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                I am curious why I don't see upper and lower bushings in the diagram...

Does the 1000 not use bushings? That would seem odd.
                Originally posted by 80gs1000e View Post
                15 & 7 possibly? Checked another site just to be sure and its the same...

http://www.powersportspro.com/pages/OemParts?aribrand=SUZ#/Suzuki/GS1000E_(1980)/FRONT_FORK/02310001/5602310034

???
                I don't think any of the items you refer to are bushings. I don't see anything in those diagrams that looks like the bushings, at least on my '83 forks. Items #8 and #10 in this diagram are the bushings in the '83 forks.

Maybe some of the 1000 wizards can enlighten us......

Thanks,
                Joe
                IBA# 24077
                '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

One thing you can do is just call the guys at Race Tech and ask them what they recommend. They invented the cartridge emulator and they will suggest spring rates based on you, your bike, and your riding style, and they will tell you what fork oil weight you need, etc. Would be worth at least getting a parts list and quote from them.

Race Tech Suspension has over 39 years of creating hi-performance suspension solutions for motorcycles, ATVs, UTVs, and snowmobiles.

Comment

So.....I'm guessing we are not rebuilding the front end this Saturday?

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                      So.....I'm guessing we are not rebuilding the front end this Saturday?
                      Hardly seems possible. Maybe we should ride instead. Or if you guys just want to wrench on a bike I need to fix my oil leak. The parts should be in tomorrow (fingers crossed).

Comment

Originally posted by gbw View Post
                        One thing you can do is just call the guys at Race Tech and ask them what they recommend. They invented the cartridge emulator and they will suggest spring rates based on you, your bike, and your riding style, and they will tell you what fork oil weight you need, etc. Would be worth at least getting a parts list and quote from them.

http://www.racetech.com/
                        I would definitely call Race Tech about the bushings. They sell bushings but the application chart just says 'Call'. Their bushings for my bike sell for $29.99 and $29.98 per pair. Boulevard Suzuki has them for $14.20 and $20.50 per pair. Cartridge Emulators are nice but rather pricey. I definitely would not spring for their $29.99 per liter fork oil. Remember that you're dealing with 30 year old damper rod forks attached to a 530 pound mild steel framed motorcycle, not a 2011 Ducati 1198SP with high end Ohlins suspension. I suspect your main stiction issue is that POS fork brace. Of course, you could have tweaked triple trees or a bent fork tube from your off-road excursion a couple years ago as well. Once we figure out where the stiction is coming from and resolve that issue everything is going to get better immediately.
                        IBA# 24077
                        '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                        '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

I bought a set of emulators from here a while back:

$54.... They are for the XS but essentially the same as racetech's. Doing some research it should all work nicely but you need to fab an adapter as an interface between damper rod & emulator.

I have done a lot of research & Racetech's "Special application" stuff supplies an adapter for different forks where they don't have something specific. They quote that an emulator can be up to 4mm diameter smaller than the fork leg (These are about 3.75mm).

Anyway... I will be installing later this year (too many projects right now). It's no risk to try for me as I have a new 1100 front end to fit anyway - picked it up for a nice price with brand new forking by frank fork tubes! Figured I'd try this first, see what I can figure out so others can do the same...

You do have to drill the damper rods i.e. open up the holes that are there & drill some more.

The only bushes you need to worry about are the plastic ones & even those are rarely worn... (part 15 in the schematic) I've not had to replace anything else in the 4 or 5 sets of forks I've messed with.

Telefix are hard to get right with no stiction so hopefully that's your issue & yes things will definitely improve a lot when that problem goes away. Remove your springs when you fit, then you can make sure everything is sliding nicely.

I have progressives but would go for Sonics personally if I was to buy again.

If your tubes are tweaked I have a "serviceable" set you could use. They have some pitting but nothing too serious. Will last you a year or three for sure. The only triples I have are 1100 ones - they are pretty cheap on Ebay anyway.

Last edited by salty_monk; 05-26-2011, 08:51 PM.
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Wow, many thanks to everybody for the info. Extra special thanks to Salty, I appreciate the offer. Lets see whats what after I get in there...

*edit*

Ikons ordered. 1/2 inch longer than stock set up for a solo 250 rider, black on black.

Boulevardsuzuki parts ordered.

Waiting for a call back from racetech...

*edit*

Cartridge emulators ordered! =))))
                            Last edited by Guest; 05-31-2011, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Tarozzi brace came in today, I was passing it around the IT dept and got everybody's hands dirty haha...

Comment

Working...
                              X