Going Camping - Michelin Anakee?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going Camping - Michelin Anakee?

I'm heading out on a long solo camping trip. Planning on going some pretty good distance and stopping along the way at various sites, with no real idea about what type of roads I'll be encountering. I'm not planning on doing any serious off roading but I expect gravel roads, dirt roads, mud roads (likely but hopefully not). I need a tire that is comfortable on long paved stretches yet will offer good stability on those questionable roads. I'm open to suggestions of course and I'm not concerned with saving money in this department. I've read good things about Michelin Anakee's but have only found one instance in the search here on the forum. Anyone have any more experience with this tire? Open to alternatives if you've got direct experience.

Thanks.

Shinko 705's, Mettler Tourance. Dan the Man uses a pirelli that is an 80/20 I believe.
    The Kenda 761's have been used successfully about Shirazdrum on his long trip I think....

I'm riding baja next month, went with the Shinko 705's. BWringer has used a few sets of those already & loves them - I respect his opinion on tyres a lot

I didn't read all good things about the Anakee but they can't be that bad... The BMW 650 around 2007 came with them stock.

The BMW guys all rave about the Tourances & that is definitely the "money is no object" option (about $260 a set). Shinko's are the budget option at about $120 a set.
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I'm running the Pirelli Scorpion Trails. They were rated at 90/10, now they say 95/5. I get about 8k mi out of the rear and double that on the front. I've been happy with them, I buy them from Motorcycle Superstore, usually on sale, about $200-$240/set. They're good on and off road, I've spent quite a bit of time on bad roads with them.

Comment

I think I'm going to give the Pirelli's a shot.
        My current rear tire is a 90% aspect ratio and the Pirelli is an 80. Is this likely to be a subtle or substantial difference in feel than what I am currently used to? Is it bad practice to have a different ratio between the front and rear tires? I'm going to end up with a 90 in the front and an 80 in the rear.

Comment

I doubt you'll notice much difference... I suspect you could save £100+ and get the Shinko's listening to the mileage Dan gets... he's not a big guy either
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

On what motorcycle are the tires going on? If the expected road conditions are going to be rough enough to warrant the use of "adventure bike" tires, maybe the bike's design and capabilities should be considered.

I switched from Tourances to D607s on my BMW GS and so far, they perform just as well. They were about $25 less per tire.
            Last edited by Guest; 05-27-2011, 10:09 AM.

Comment

I don't think Shirazdrum will agree with you... he's done some fairly good trail work on his trip it seems...
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

I preferred the Anakees on my R12GS..over the tourances..a much better tire and now it is replaced with the Anakee 2. I'd steer clear of the Shinko..you're worth more than that..there are countless photos of tires missing large portions of their carcass on those tires.

Comment

The early shinko's did have a problem but it's sorted out now... It was the bias ply 150 width for the BMW and DL1000 but they are now radial.

I just went on a trip with 4 bikes, 1 a Gs1000. 3 were wearing Shinko's incl the 1000. We did 2000 miles in a week, some off road, sand, mud etc. Great tyre in my opinion.
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Working...
                  X