No shims on my brakes, what the @$%?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No shims on my brakes, what the @$%?

I'm rebuilding my brakes completely (new seals and pistons on all calipers and both MC's, braided lines) and I seem to be missing all the shims! Both front and rear are gone.

Did one of the PO's manage to lose them or were they not used on my bike for some strange reason? I've read of some people throwing them out with the old pads by mistake, but come on, all of them?!
    Fiche of course says they should be there:

Front shims, part 59371-45200, #5 here:

Rear shims, part 69152-45001, #13 here:

If so, how bad do I need them?

Anyone have some spares they are willing to part with for really cheap? My budget was pretty much gone already before this.

Thanks,
    Andres

Fronts I'd have to scratch my head and go and have a look at the GS to see if they are in there. As for the rears, yep got them fitted and they do allow a bit movement between piston and pad.

Comment

You don't need 'em. Around half the bikes I worked on back in the day had lost these before they needed their first MOT.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Get some Copper Anti-sieze lubricant and spread on there. It does pretty good.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thank you fellas. Looks like I'll be running sans-shims with a dab of copper anti sieze!

Comment

Working...
          X