1977 GS750 Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1977 GS750 Fixes

Hey guys, I'm glad to inform that I bought a 1977 GS750 yesterday, i need to fix a couple things on it, but it runs and sounds pretty good.

Things needing fixing:
    -(pod) air filter(s)
    -front brakes (I think I just need to bleed them)
    -lower suspension
    -sticking throttle

If you guys can give me some advice, especially on the throttle sticking, front brakes and lowering the suspension, that would be AWESOME.
    I'll post a pic later

Instead of focusing on "fixing" things I suggest you get busy performing all the various maintenance a 34 year old vehicle deserves. Once everything is properly updated then you can go back and perform repairs as needed.

You will find tons of useful information here, including a service manual for your bike... http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/

Look for the info regarding maintenance, and what to do.

Basic stuff like a full carb rebuild, replacing all the carb and carb boot O-rings, valve adjustment, full brake system tear down and clean out, etc. Do this stuff up front and you will build a base for a reliable bike.

Good luck and congratulations on your bike purchase.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

yes, according to the previous owner, the carbs were recently rebuilt. i also have that link, thanks. and i will be doing a tune-up and all.

I will be needing to lower the forks and rear suspension about an inch or 2, does anyone have any suggestions or parts advice on this?

thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Lens_cafe View Post
        yes, according to the previous owner, the carbs were recently rebuilt. i also have that link, thanks. and i will be doing a tune-up and all.

I will be needing to lower the forks and rear suspension about an inch or 2, does anyone have any suggestions or parts advice on this?

thanks.
        Where have I heard that before?

You can pull the fork tubes up in the triple clamps to lower the front and get shorter shocks in the back, or a 16" rear wheel. If you go too far though the wheels will hit chassis parts at full compression. Best to leave the bike alone or get an L model bike if you want low reach to the ground.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

For the sticking throttle, try lubing the cables. If that doesn't help, make sure the cables aren't kinked or routed incorrectly, causing them to bind. They may just need replaced if they're original and not responding to any of the above.

Are there pods on the bike already? If not, you will have to rejet the carbs to compensate. If so, there are a few options for replacement from Emgo to K&N.

Bleed the brakes and make sure you run new fluid all the way from the master to the caliper. New fluid and stainless lines makes a big difference. You may need to rebuild the master and caliper, but I always try the easy stuff first.

Nessism covered the basics of lowering the bike. I'm using clipons so my forks are up in the top tree about an inch and a half. Stock length shocks in the rear now, but I was running a one inch shorter set for a while.

My first bike was 77 750. Still have her and still love her.

Comment

Would pulling the fork tubes up and shorter rear shocks affect the handling (in a bad way)?

Comment

Yes, these engines are wide and don't have much cornering clearance anyway. If it's too tall for you get a smaller bike. .

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Lens_cafe,

Pod filters need the carburetors jetted properly. Has that been done? Don't take the PO's word that the carbs are clean. See all the information in your "mega-welcome.

For a 30 year old brake system, it's best of you rebuild the calipers and master cylinders then replace the rubber brake lines with stainless steel braided lines. Don't take chances with brakes or tires.

Sticky throttle? Check the cable routing, lube the cable, check the linkage, or replace the cable.

Check this out: Lowering Your Bike

But, no, I don't really recommend lowing the suspension more than an inch. You can shave the seat as much as you want but it might leave you sore in sensitive areas.

Anyway, let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                Last edited by Guest; 06-06-2011, 01:27 AM.

Comment

Hey, guys, thanks for the replies. Sorry for not updating in a while.

Updates:
                  -ordered o-rings and gaskets for the carbs (I'll b going thru them this weekend)
                  -new Avon AM-26 tires that should arrive next week.
                  -HEL stainless braided brake lines.
                  -I rebuilt the front master cylinder

Also, I pulled the horrible king/queen seat off, and just sitting in the frame is more than enough clearance, instead of lowering the bike, so I'm thinking I'll just get a new, short, seat.

I'll also be cleaning and polishing the bike in the next week or so, so hopefully it'll be nice and shiny soon, and Ill post some pics then.

Just an FYI, I have the turquoise green tank, with original paint and it's still pretty shiny (which I think is kinda cool, cuz i heard that this was the only year they came out with this color)

Comment

If you go with the "E" style seat (with a step in it), that should solve your height issue

It's good that you decided to redo the carbs

The phrases "recently rebuilt" and "sticking throttle" should never go together, it shows the PO lacks a basic understanding of how things work, which could mean big trouble for you.

Follow the VM carb rebuild and check the cable routing in the service manual
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Thnk, but no, I really don't like stepped seats.

Today I replaced the front brake line, with a braided stainless one, and then bled them. The front brake seems to be kind of stiff, there's not much play with the lever. Any suggestions or adjustments ? Or does anyone know the reason for this?

Comment

You need to take the caliper and master cylinder apart and confirm that they're clean inside, the pistons aren't rusted and replace the seals

After all, they're 34 years old and have been neglected. It's up to you to change that
                        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Ok, yes, I agree, but would that change or fix the problem I just described?

Comment

Yes it could if the pistons in the calipers are stuck or not releasing properly it could account for little lever. Although you don't want much movement, nice firm feeling lever with small amount of movement is what you want. So do as Big-T said and check your calipers. I was surprised how bad mine were on 2 of my bikes when I got them off. Don't want to take a chance on stopping! terrylee

Comment

Yes it could if the pistons in the calipers are stuck or not releasing properly it could account for little lever. Although you don't want much movement, nice firm feeling lever with small amount of movement is what you want. So do as Big-T said and check your calipers. I was surprised how bad mine were on 2 of my bikes when I got them off. Don't want to take a chance on stopping! Also I lowered my 850 by dropping the forks about 3/4 inch in triple tree and shorter shocks and haven't notice any handling problems, or clearance issues terrylee

Comment

Working...
                              X