Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ikon vs Progressive... How much better are Ikon really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ikon vs Progressive... How much better are Ikon really?

The question here is are Ikons $AU180 better than Progressive?

I can get Ikon progressive fork springs and rear shocks with springs for $AU630 including shipping locally here in Aus direct from Ikon.

I can get Progressive fork springs and series 12 shocks with springs for about $US450 shipped direct from Progressive.

So, are Ikons that much better or am I better off getting the Progressives?

My only comparison is stock stuff, so I have no idea... front forks have always been way too soft and rear were ok but stiff and are now like struts.

I've done lots of searches here, and Ikon is always reported as better than Progressive, so it's just a matter of how much better.

Oh, '82 450E by the way...
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Originally posted by pete View Post
    The question here is are Ikons $AU180 better than Progressive?

I can get Ikon progressive fork springs and rear shocks with springs for $AU630 including shipping locally here in Aus direct from Ikon.

I can get Progressive fork springs and series 12 shocks with springs for about $US450 shipped direct from Progressive.

So, are Ikons that much better or am I better off getting the Progressives?

My only comparison is stock stuff, so I have no idea... front forks have always been way too soft and rear were ok but stiff and are now like struts.

I've done lots of searches here, and Ikon is always reported as better than Progressive, so it's just a matter of how much better.

Oh, '82 450E by the way...
    From my research into that a while back (disclosure I never got either as I was able to get Ohlins) was that the Ikons are rebuild able and more adjustable (damping which progressive doesn't have). Also you can get them setup from the factory as far as springs and so that is a big plus. Of course you are talking a few more bucks.
    If it was me I would do Ikon even though the progressives would probably be fine as well.

Comment

Thanks Pos, that definitely makes some sense.

For some reason I thought Progressives were rebuildable... I missed that the Ikons have damping adjustment but I just revisited their website and yep there it is...

sigpic

Comment

Because Ikons, or in their former life Konis, are rebuildable they can be a really good buy secondhand. As long as the damper rods aren't pitted the rebuild parts are cheap and it's an easy job - shocks as good as new in no time.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
          Because Ikons, or in their former life Konis, are rebuildable they can be a really good buy secondhand. As long as the damper rods aren't pitted the rebuild parts are cheap and it's an easy job - shocks as good as new in no time.
          Good point! I haven't seen any around the traps in my occassional searching but I will definitely keep my eyes open... thanks for the reminder

sigpic

Comment

I have it on good authority (Joe Nardy) that the difference between Ikons and Progressives is almost as dramatic as the difference between Progressives and the crappy stockers. Maybe he was just trying to shame me into spending more money...

With that said, I seem to get down the road OK with Progressive shocks, especially when I installed the proper extra-heavy-duty spring for my, uh, mass. They are getting just a wee tid bouncy after 80,000 miles, so at some point it'll be time to toss them and pony up for new ones.

In case you're wondering, I'm using Sonic straight rate fork springs up front, in the proper rate. These were a HUGE improvement over the badly overwhelmed Progressive springs I used to have in there.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
              I have it on good authority (Joe Nardy) that the difference between Ikons and Progressives is almost as dramatic as the difference between Progressives and the crappy stockers. Maybe he was just trying to shame me into spending more money...

With that said, I seem to get down the road OK with Progressive shocks, especially when I installed the proper extra-heavy-duty spring for my, uh, mass. They are getting just a wee tid bouncy after 80,000 miles, so at some point it'll be time to toss them and pony up for new ones.

In case you're wondering, I'm using Sonic straight rate fork springs up front, in the proper rate. These were a HUGE improvement over the badly overwhelmed Progressive springs I used to have in there.
              The Ikons are wonderful on my '83 1100E. That having been said, I wanted damping adjustment because I ride the bike anywhere from 1-up with no luggage to 2-up with fully loaded saddlebags and tank bag, probably close to a 200 pound difference in load weight. If I always rode 1-up I would probably go with Progressives with appropriate springs.

Thanks,
              Joe
              IBA# 24077
              '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
              '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
              '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Thanks heaps guys! I'm probably somewhere near 100kg with gear is my guess, put a bit on when I quit smoking.

My wife's only small, probably 60kg or less with gear, and I'm hoping I can lure her on the back, so I'm definitely looking for some adjustment other than just preload if I can get it.

I also have wanted a set of Koni's ever since I started riding... of course now I can only get Ikon's

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy View Post
                  The Ikons are wonderful on my '83 1100E. That having been said, I wanted damping adjustment because I ride the bike anywhere from 1-up with no luggage to 2-up with fully loaded saddlebags and tank bag, probably close to a 200 pound difference in load weight. If I always rode 1-up I would probably go with Progressives with appropriate springs.

Thanks,
                  Joe
                  I am trying to decide between these Ikons and some air shocks made by Progressive that the guy at Z1 is trying to sell me. Do you get enough difference in the adjustments to go between one up and fully loaded, or are they very stiff when you ride solo? How is the ride, both two up and by yourself? What spring rate did you go with, and do you think you got the right one?
                  I am trying to set up a GS1100G for long distance stuff. Shocks are the last big piece of the puzzle.
                  Thanks!

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    I am trying to decide between these Ikons and some air shocks made by Progressive that the guy at Z1 is trying to sell me. Do you get enough difference in the adjustments to go between one up and fully loaded, or are they very stiff when you ride solo? How is the ride, both two up and by yourself? What spring rate did you go with, and do you think you got the right one?
                    I am trying to set up a GS1100G for long distance stuff. Shocks are the last big piece of the puzzle.
                    Thanks!
                    Yes, the damping adjustments make a noticeable difference as do the preload adjustments. Between the two you can make the ride good for 1-up or 2-up riding. I prefer a stiffer setup so I run it that way but I can also make it reasonably plush if I care to. For a comparison, I am running Race Tech cartridge emulators and Progressive springs up front and the forks do not perform as well as the rear shocks. I am not sure of the spring rates. When I ordered the shocks they asked me for my weight and my passenger's weight and the type of riding I do. I think the spring rate is perfect but, again, I prefer a firmer setup. I'm sure you can specify a softer setup if you like.

Thanks,
                    Joe
                    Last edited by Joe Nardy; 06-06-2011, 11:17 PM.
                    IBA# 24077
                    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Pete ,old mate .
                      Buy Australian made and get a set of Ikon springs and shocks .
                      I think they're made in Albury/Wodonga and definitely used to be Koni .
                      In Aus , "progressive" refers to the way the springs are made , rather than a "Brand".
                      Give them a ring and tell them what you've got and what you want . Real good , helpful blokes .
                      Trust me , you don't want anything more exotic and Ikons will blow your socks off .

Cheers , Simon .

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy View Post
                        I am running Race Tech cartridge emulators and Progressive springs up front and the forks do not perform as well as the rear shocks.

Thanks,
                        Joe
                        Which spring rate did you go with?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                          Which spring rate did you go with?
                          See original post...I must have edited it while you were typing your reply....
                          IBA# 24077
                          '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

Originally posted by simon kuether View Post
                            Pete ,old mate .
                            Buy Australian made and get a set of Ikon springs and shocks .
                            I think they're made in Albury/Wodonga and definitely used to be Koni .
                            In Aus , "progressive" refers to the way the springs are made , rather than a "Brand".
                            Give them a ring and tell them what you've got and what you want . Real good , helpful blokes .
                            Trust me , you don't want anything more exotic and Ikons will blow your socks off .

Cheers , Simon .
                            I think that's now confirmed as the plan Simon

So far I emailed them enquiring about a dealer in Brissie, and they came back the next day with a price including freight to my door and everything is in stock too.

I'll have to wait til my exhaust is done (booked in 24th June) and once that's done, next pay should hopefully see me getting some new suspenders... then the pay after that will hopefully be tyres...

I'm starting to feel it...

Thanks for all the replies guys, really appreciate it, and I hope some others get some tidbits from this as well...

sigpic

Comment

I just bought Ikons, they are in the mail somewhere to me...

After much thought I decided that I wanted something I could rebuild if needed and for an extra $100/150 it was worth it in the long run. The Progressives and Hagons however are very nice from what I've heard from GSers.

I got to run firstimer's Ikons on my bike at a track day and they were amazing.

I went through http://www.ikonsuspensionusa.com/servlet/StoreFront and ordered them over the phone.

Comment

Working...
                              X