Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help removing trapped air in master cylinder.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help removing trapped air in master cylinder.

Hope you guys can help me. This is actually the clutch master cylinder on a ZX14 (hydraulic clutch). But it's the same basic principles as a braking system master cylinder.
    I was changing fluid and screwed up and allowed the reservoir to get too low and sucked some air into the M/C. Now I've got a little play in the lever that shouldn't be there. I've tried the basic bleeding method (pump/squeeze/crack open/close/release until I'm blue in the face. All I get is fluid and no bubbles. I bought a Mityvac and hooked it up but it can't pull out the trapped air either. I DO know how to bleed but I'm getting nowhere.
    Apparently this M/C would be very messy and difficult to try removing the banjo fitting and doing a compromised bench bleed while mounted on the bike. That method worked well on my GS once but the 14's M/C has a bleed valve mounted on it so I think removing the banjo is pointless.
    I've tried everything I know.
    Maybe someone here knows a method that works well for TRAPPED air? I know there's air in there but I can't move it. If I have to I'll even buy a bleed tool/equipment if I know it will work in this case. Maybe one of those bleeders that uses a compressor or?
    Any tips appreciated.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Phoenix Systems offers the industry's best brake bleeding solutions, including tools, kits, testing strips, adapters, and more. With us, you get the best performance.

Page 22 of the manual has instructions for bleeding a clutch. The manual is a good read to learn different bleeding techniques for the brakes.

Comment

Well I've never had a hydraulic clutch but the following worked for me on my brakes. Opened the reservoir - pumped and bled into the vac till it came out solid at the bleeder then compressed and then manually pushed the pistons back in as far as I could - then bled again - repeat if necessary. Then put a zip tie on the handle and leave it overnight compressing- should make all the bubbles float up and out.

Good luck - not sure about the clutch though. Can you get to the pistons?

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
        DCrippa, I've heard of tie-strapping the lever to the grip but never tried it.
        Do you think compressing the piston assembly could cause any trouble with sagging the small spring inside? I'm not sure the spring can handle being compressed that long, though I haven't heard of any complaints and I know many owners have tied down their levers.
        I appreciate the help.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Keith, sometimes it's best to work backwards by forcing fluid from the slave cylinder back up to the m/c. The air isn't fighting gravity then.

This works really well when bleeding dual front brakes. Just make sure you don't spill fluid on your paint.
          :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
          GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
          GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
          GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
          http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by 49er View Post
            Keith, sometimes it's best to work backwards by forcing fluid from the slave cylinder back up to the m/c. The air isn't fighting gravity then.

This works really well when bleeding dual front brakes. Just make sure you don't spill fluid on your paint.
            Ian, can I have an explanation on how you force fluid from slave cylinder/caliper back up into the master cylinder. I've just fitted a ZX10 m/c to my 550 and I too have bled the crap out of it, but still feel there is a bit too much movement in the lever before the brakes 'come on'. I have loosened the banjo bolt where it holds the two lines to the m/c and with a piece of rag soaking up the fluid as it comes out bled the m/c that way. Still think there could be some air in there though.

Thanks Mate.

Comment

Keith I'm sure you're aware and have broken the manual out but if it's anything like my ZRX it has a bleeder valve on the slave cylinder as well. This is all new territory for me as well, as the slave is attached to the CS sprocket cover and requires removal for changing the CS sprocket. Pita. But fortunately they've put that bleeder valve there to ease bleeding. I think another poster mentioned forcing air up thru the slave cylinder will help push air out as well. I'm guessing that can be done by feeding fluid via the bleeder valve? Or maybe pulling the slave and priming it first? I'll be watching this as I will have to disassemble mine fairly soon for R&R... I'm learning with ya!

Comment

Yeah the tieing the lever back works great in desperate times. Just make sure everything is set so air will flow up and out. Might mean leaning the bike againt a wall with the handle bars turned to the right overnite.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                  Ian, can I have an explanation on how you force fluid from slave cylinder/caliper back up into the master cylinder. I've just fitted a ZX10 m/c to my 550 and I too have bled the crap out of it, but still feel there is a bit too much movement in the lever before the brakes 'come on'. I have loosened the banjo bolt where it holds the two lines to the m/c and with a piece of rag soaking up the fluid as it comes out bled the m/c that way. Still think there could be some air in there though.

Thanks Mate.
                  Don, all you do is loosen off the banjo nut on the master cylinder, then fit a clear hose over the bleed nipple on the caliper, open it and force brake fluid into it. Keep forcing the fluid upward until it reaches the master cylinder with no air coming through. Now close the nipple and change to the other caliper and repeat the process. You will need plenty of rags to prevent brake fluid from reaching your paint work though.

Once the air has stopped flowing through the banjo, tighten it up and try your
                  brake lever. With light pressure on the lever, crack the banjo to expel any small air pocket on the m/c side of the banjo. Now re-tighten the banjo.You should now have no air in the system and have a good firm feel to the lever.

This system should work on Keith's clutch too.
                  :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold

Comment

Ian what do you use to force the fluid into the caliper nipple with?

Comment

Don, I use a plastic squeeze bottle, with a tapered nozzle that I slide the hose over. The hose must seal well there and on the caliper nipple too.

Make sure its a tight fit before gently squeezing the fluid from the bottle. Lock the nipple prior to releasing the pressure on the bottle, or you will draw air back down the brake line.

You can buy pumps that will do the same job too.

Comment

Thanks Ian. I will give it a try.

Comment

Is the master cylinder at a slight angle, with the banjo a bit higher?

I know you said it would be hard to do the "bench bleed", but sometimes there is a bubble trapped in that upper corner. Can you remove the brake lever and push the piston ALL the way in with a screwdriver or dowel rod? It is usually possible to push the piston farther that way, which will get rid of that pesky bubble.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You can also use a medical syringe. They have a tapered point where the injection needle fits onto, and if you use a tube with a small enough opening, it fits very snugly. The larger syringes have 50 - 100 ml capacity, which unfortunately is less than the squeeze bottle volume.
                            1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Turning the handlebar until the outlet from the cylinder is at the highest point, as well as tapping the cylinder lightly with a piece of wood or rubber may help to dislodge an air bubble "stuck" somewhere, and allow it to rise towards the highest point, and hopefully down the hose.
                              1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Working...
                              X