question about rim fittament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question about rim fittament

first off, hello all! this forum looks like a great resource and i look forward to meeting & talking with the lot of you.

i have a question regarding wheel fittament on a 1977 suzuki GS 750.

i plan on purchasing one either this evening or tomorrow evening but it has mag rims and i plan on giving it a classic café/bobber hybrid type look so i'm hoping to get some spoke rims that i'm going to clean up and powder coat black.

i have been searching around craigslist for some and have come across spoke rims off other bikes and i'm curious as to how universal the wheel fittament actually is?

i found some off a 1980 xs 650, would those fit?

also, please bear in mind that i'm a total noob to motorcycles, but, you have to start somewhere, right?

Thank a lot!

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. gmoore,

Sorry I can't help you with your wheel fitment. There are many other here who can though. I know there were contemporary models of GS bikes that came with spoke rims that should fit. But I would first suggest that, being a novice motorcyclist, you first learn how to properly care for and maintain your motorcycle in stock form. Once you are familiar with the theory and operation, all the necessary tasks and responsibilities, etc, then you can start your modifications and fabrications. I think it just may be easier for you that way. I hope you don't mine me sharing my 2 cents.

Anyway, let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by gmoore View Post
      first off, hello all! this forum looks like a great resource and i look forward to meeting & talking with the lot of you.

i have a question regarding wheel fittament on a 1977 suzuki GS 750.

i plan on purchasing one either this evening or tomorrow evening but it has mag rims and i plan on giving it a classic café/bobber hybrid type look so i'm hoping to get some spoke rims that i'm going to clean up and powder coat black.

i have been searching around craigslist for some and have come across spoke rims off other bikes and i'm curious as to how universal the wheel fittament actually is?

i found some off a 1980 xs 650, would those fit?

also, please bear in mind that i'm a total noob to motorcycles, but, you have to start somewhere, right?

Thank a lot!
      They'll likely NOT bolt right up.. You need to take into account which side the chain is on, and which the brake is on. Plus, because of off-set measurements on everything (chain and sprockets, brake rotor, etc) you cant just slap a wheel in there even if the sides match..

Were I you, wanting to go for spokes, I would find a set from a 77-78 GS750... they pop up from time to time on Ebay, and aside from a simple spacer change on the brake side of the rear wheel, will bolt right up and bobs your uncle..

However, from a maintenance standpoint... Spokes are kinda a pain in the arse.. They need to be trued from time to time, they require inner tubes, they are a pain to clean. etc etc. If you're going for looks on a cafe bike that wont see much road time, and never any rain, thats one thing... But spokes on an every day machine is a bit of a PITA...which is probably why you dont see em much anymore... Except on Hardley Ablesons...which dont see much road time, nor many miles...nor rain... etc..

Comment

Working...
      X