Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good illustration of why not to run car tires on a bike.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good illustration of why not to run car tires on a bike.

This series of pics from a rider on the Tail of the Dragon was posted on a local forum. It does show how a car tire reacts on a bike i.e not very well at all. Its actually quite scary and illustrates what can happen.

Maybe fine for a drag bike but not so good for a canyon carver.

Ride safely friends.
    Spyug
    Last edited by Guest; 06-09-2011, 10:32 AM.

I already used the word 'tomfool' once today so that's out... seriously there just aren't words.
    "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Not scary at all. Just a matter of physics remaining consistent. Not to mention the fact that the guy had a pretty poor line to begin with. More than a bad tire, I think this is just another case of goin' in too hot/beyond the abilities of the rider and bike.

When in doubt, slow in, fast out. And if you crashed in a turn, you should have been in doubt.

Comment

My uncle runs car tires on his wing.

Maybe I outta show him this. What happened btw? Why did it all of a sudden slide out from under him?

Comment

Because he can't ride.
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Because he can't ride.
            lmao. I did notice he had no apex on that curve...just riding the white all the way around

Comment

Exit....stage right....

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Wow. Nightmare stuff. Highside into a blind right curve.

Comment

Originally posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
                  lmao. I did notice he had no apex on that curve...just riding the white all the way around
                  I, unfortunately, ride with a couple of riders that ride just like that rider.
                  The results, are the same even with good tires.
                  Give them lots of lead or make sure that they are behind you.

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                    I, unfortunately, ride with a couple of riders that ride just like that rider.
                    The results, are the same even with good tires.
                    Give them lots of lead or make sure that they are behind you.

Daniel
                    I don't understand people who ride the white. I hate the squirm I get on a long sweeping curve coming from the outside lane to the inside lane and going over the center line.

Makes no sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
                      My uncle runs car tires on his wing.

Maybe I outta show him this. What happened btw? Why did it all of a sudden slide out from under him?
                      He used up the whole traction pie...and needed just a bit more. If you're at 100% traction and you need 1% more, traction breaks.

He was doomed from the start.

1) He was going too fast
                      2) He turned in far too early (commonly done when going too fast)
                      3) Once committed, he had these options: slow, lean, run wide or some combination thereof. Any of these was likely to bring trouble.
                      4) He chose to lean (and likely back off the throttle and/or hit the brakes - not sure, but in the shot prior to the start of the slide, it looks like the tail light it lit). With that tire, leaning gave him less available traction and MORE demand for traction.
                      5) If he slowed the bike in anyway, weight would have transferred OFF of the rear tire which REDUCES the amount of rear tire traction and...

*POOF* tire breaks loose.

Things he could have done differently for a better result:

1) Have a proper tire - more traction
                      2) Set proper entry speed (slower)
                      3) Turn in later
                      4) Choose proper line/apex

Like I said before, nothing scary here because there were no surprises. Based on the choices made by the rider, the result is simply not unexpected.

The good news is that ALL OF US can take comfort in the fact that by not making the same choices we do not run the same level of risk for such an incident.

Standard equipment, slow in, fast out. Problem solved.

Comment

To me, it looks like he comes in hot, hits his inside boot on the ground (4-5-6), stands it up a bit, gets past the apex, see that he's screwed in pic 11, but he's gonna try rather than crash

He goes around the left hander (probably cut it), then there's a big black stripe in pic 12, so he may have panic braked there when he saw that he was way off for the corners ahead. It does kinda look like he's on the rear brake pedal

He's two corners past the first photos when he crashes - check the position of the armco barrier

Good head turn, tho!
                        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

What I was getting at was the potential for a really bad outcome. Bad enough that he tossed the bike or rather it tossed him but into a blind corner too. I've not, as yet, been there but from what I've read and heard, its a busy stretch of road in both directions. I was told of a rider from this area who took one of these turns a little too hot and too wide and caromed off the front left fender of an oncoming truck. Luckily he survived.

What I've never understood about motorsports in general is the number of folks that make modifications without any knowledge of what they really are doing just for the cool factor. If you want performance educate yourself. If its a possermobile you're after at least make it safe to ride,then ride it down to the coffee shop at 5 mph. Don't take it full throttle into the twisties if its not built for it and more importantly if you're not up to it.

This is a dangerous enough"sport" without making it extra dangerous by making the bike unsafe. Rant over.

Safety first folks.
                          Spyug

Comment

Originally posted by MelodicMetalGod View Post

Things he could have done differently for a better result:

1) Have a proper tire - more traction
                            2) Set proper entry speed (slower)
                            3) Turn in later
                            4) Choose proper line/apex
                            5) Stay home smoking cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo
                            "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

not much tread on the sidewall i think. Maybe it was a tubeless tyre on a tubed rim?
                              Last edited by Guest; 06-09-2011, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X