front breaks stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

front breaks stuck

well i went on a joy ride on my 81 750e and i pull into one of the state parks and discover to my horror that my front breaks are stuck and i can barley move forward. i get off the bike and find smoke off the front left caliper and both disks have a nice blue circle on the outside. so now im sitting and hopeing when it all cools off that things will be good. otherwise im calling in backup with a tool box to repair onsite

i noticed the font lever getting stiffer ever time i used the breaks... should have stopped as soon as i noticed

Comment

well i got home safe and sound, once everything cooled off then it worked fine again although i think i may have a slightly warped rotor now. well time to take everything apart.
      Last edited by Guest; 06-18-2011, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Be sure to take everything apart and inspect

I think you may be surprised by what you find in there
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Honestly, I would have to say you are dang lucky it didn't lock up and throw you over the top.

Make sure you strip and clean that master cylinder thoroughly. Make sure the return port is open.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Hi,

Yes, the master cylinder return port. It's a very small opening at the bottom of the master cylinder. Get a soft wire and spray parts cleaner and get it cleaned out. There have been many horror stories of this type in the forum.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

yea i do consider myself lucky, but i also always pullover when i notice anything unusual. at least its a good day for a brake job, i just got my new rear brake (thanks bill)

Comment

Working...
              X