Tire installer - Hartford area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire installer - Hartford area?

Any Hartford GSer's know of a good and reasonably priced tire dealer/installer in the area? The bike needs tires asap, and looking at the price list for Motorcycle Superstore's "Preferred Installers" almost gave me a heart attack - $200 to MOUNT a set of tires?

The bike is currently sitting at a buddy's place in New Britain, so anything within spitting distance of that would be nice, but I'll trailer it for the right deal (UHaul is only $15)

Thanks!

I actually need a set of tires changed too. I called a few chain shops and stores and none do motorcycles. But they do scooters and ATVs. So I figure I'm just going to do it myself with a small tire changer and some tire irons. Instead of paying the $200 you can invest in tools to do it youself and never have to pay a shop ever again.
    Tire irons
    Tire changer
    How to Change a Tire

Comment

I've used Cycle Gear in Vernon for several tire changes, ones I've bought there & ones I didn't...

They seem to do acceptable work - last I remember they charged about $15/tire.
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by Vtso4 View Post
        So I figure I'm just going to do it myself with a small tire changer and some tire irons. Instead of paying the $200 you can invest in tools to do it youself and never have to pay a shop ever again.
        Tire irons
        Tire changer
        How to Change a Tire
        Yes, this.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Only way to go

Hi, got tired of paying too much for tire changes, get these and you will not be sorry, I promise you they are super heavy duty and make the job a breeze.

1 of these:

2 of these:

Atv Tire Wheel Tools Shop for Tools at Rocky Mountain ATV/MC. In addition to Tools, browse our full selection of Parts & Accessories. We offer the best customer service in the industry!

Hope this helps, Jerry

Comment

They do it because you're not buying the tires from them.
            And because there's very little competition, and most riders don't know HOW to change a tire. (even though it's extremely simple)

I use the word "simple", because technically it's easy....but with these older bikes it can be a little difficult IF the tires been sittin on the bike for a long time....

-----

How easy is it???

I once did a tire change on my gs650 with nothing but a set of large flathead screwdrivers, and some cut up ABS containers to protect the rims from getting scratched.

Comment

Jerry, thanks for those links!

Though I'm mechanically confident with most things, changing tires isn't something I've wanted to try my hand at previously. But, I suppose there has to be a first time for everything...if I do go this route, I'll have to get creative - my tools are in storage for the next month (long story), and the bike is parked at a friend's apartment in New Britain. I was hoping to ride in/out to get the bike on the road to start working out the kinks on the new bike and salvage what's left of the season

What about old tires makes them difficult to get off? Mine are cracked and dry rotted, so its safe to assume they've been on there awhile (forgot to look at the date code). Just like to go into this guns loaded so that I don't f*** up 30-year-old rims

Again thanks for the info,
              Steve

Comment

no prob

No problem, Steve

I had never changed a tire either until I bought those tools. The bead tool comes with detailed instructions that are awesome. It holds the bead after you break it so you dont lose ground, which is the most common problem changing them. Those Irons are so heavy duty and well made you can do it I'm sure of it.

Old tires are less pliable and are harder to get off but if you use the method described in the instructions that come with the bead tool, and do it when the tire is warm, you should be fine. Take the wheels off and let them sit in a sunny, warm place before you do it. In the winter I suggest doing it in a warm garage, old hard tires and cold temps = pita, lol.

Take care, Jerry

OK, I just realized I have misled you, I am so sorry, That bead tool will NOT work with mag wheels. I still suggest the tire tools but this is the first bike I have had with mags on it and I just realized it will NOT work with mag wheels. Sorry for the misinfo, Jerry
                Last edited by Guest; 06-21-2011, 06:12 PM. Reason: bad advice

Comment

Nothing wrong with giving it a go and doing it yourself, personally that is one of the few things I leave to the shop though. However you got to find a reasonable one, that one posted for $15 a tire is def in that range.

Basically call ahead and you only get it done decent it you bring them the wheels, if you bring the bike its a huge wait and the $200 range. Also if they are competitive with tire price you might want ask what they have for tires or what they can get.

Comment

Don't forget the lube ...

One thing that helps a lot is using the proper lubricant ....

A lot of people mess around with soapy water and stuff, and that can work ok.

But for about $10 at most autoparts stores you can get a gallon of the proper stuff, Ruglyde.
                    I think it works better.

A gallon will last for the rest of your life.

Comment

good point, it's a combination of the Temperature and Tire Age that make it hard to remove sometimes.....

I had a set of 10 year old el cheapo tires, and removed them in the winter.

The bead would NOT break...

I eventually had to lay a 2x10 on the edge of the tire, and run up it with a Jeep! And even then....it took 4 attempts before it finally gave way!
                      (of course I was extremely careful how I set everything up, so I wouldn't damage the rim)

Then I had to use a sawzall to cut the tire in half, because it absolutely refused to give me any slack.
                      (It was just SO dried out and hardened from years of sitting.)

I like changing tires though, definitely a workout!
                      I love a good challenge, and I believe that's the same attitude a lot of riders/mechs have here....

Comment

The guy at Cycle Addiction in Torrington quoted me $20 each today. Tubeless tires on mag wheels. I thought it was very reasonable. Kinda out of your way tho.

Comment

Originally posted by spwalker09 View Post
                          Any Hartford GSer's know of a good and reasonably priced tire dealer/installer in the area? The bike needs tires asap, and looking at the price list for Motorcycle Superstore's "Preferred Installers" almost gave me a heart attack - $200 to MOUNT a set of tires?

The bike is currently sitting at a buddy's place in New Britain, so anything within spitting distance of that would be nice, but I'll trailer it for the right deal (UHaul is only $15)

Thanks!
                          I've had Manchester Honda mount tires for me before, I forget how much they charge, but it wasn't $200. I know Cycle Gear in Manchester does it; they charge $20 per tire if you buy the tire from them, or $30 if you bought it somewhere else. Stupid question, are you talking about bringing them the bike to change the tires, just bringing the wheels in? I imagine a shop will charge more to take the wheels off the bike, mount/balance new tires then re-install.

Comment

oh, and BTW, Manchester Honda is one of Motorcycle Superstore's preferred installers, but if you have your tires shipped there directly, make sure you call ManHonda and let them know, otherwise they might refuse the shipment. Almost happened to me.

Comment

Thanks for the tip - I'm actually still shopping around because I havent had much time to ride or work on the bike so the same crappy tires are still on it. I'm looking to replace them this week though.

I stopped into Cycle Gear last week, which is 5 min from my house. Those prices are the prices they quoted me but their tire prices are pretty high. I'll stop over at Manchester Honda and see what their deals are. I've bought tires from MCS before and I do like their prices and fast shipping, so if Manchester Honda can quote me a decent price for installation then consider it done. I figure I might as well have someone else install them this time around...I'll wise up eventually and learn how to do them myself, but I have too much going on...

Comment

Working...
                              X