Defective Tire? It wont go on!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Defective Tire? It wont go on!!

Just bought a new set of Shinko 230 tourmasters. 1978 GS 750e. im beginning to really hate them. i just threw on the front tire: it went right on, the back tire is a whole nother story. One side of the tire went on so when i go to finalize and put on the other side. i get about 75% done and than the tire starts ripping. i figured um okay lemme just put the rest on quickly. so then i realize that it is physically impossible for it to go on. took it off and restarted, one side goes on perfectly, and the other side seems like it was made a size too small. im sayin this tire is defective! i have changed several tires on this same bike. i got the right sizes too 100/90/19 for the front and 120/90/18 for the back. it will not go on. has this ever happened to anyone? i've been using the same sizes all the time. one thing i noticed is that when i got the tire all the hairs were ripped off.. i got it from ebay.
    John 3:16

Originally posted by GabrielGoes View Post
    Just bought a new set of Shinko 230 tourmasters. 1978 GS 750e. im beginning to really hate them. i just threw on the front tire: it went right on, the back tire is a whole nother story. One side of the tire went on so when i go to finalize and put on the other side. i get about 75% done and than the tire starts ripping. i figured um okay lemme just put the rest on quickly. so then i realize that it is physically impossible for it to go on. took it off and restarted, one side goes on perfectly, and the other side seems like it was made a size too small. im sayin this tire is defective! i have changed several tires on this same bike. i got the right sizes too 100/90/19 for the front and 120/90/18 for the back. it will not go on. has this ever happened to anyone? i've been using the same sizes all the time. one thing i noticed is that when i got the tire all the hairs were ripped off.. i got it from ebay.
    I used Shinko 230's on my old '79 GS750E with no issues but ordered through DennisKirk new. They were only around $60(rear) shipped so not sure if where you got on e-bay was advertised as new and can be replaced if defective. Measure the diameter of both beads to check if they are the same, but normally with a little lube and some stretching effort will put the second bead on without any damage or ripping. Also check that you pushed the tire at an angle to minimize the amount the tire has to stretch and resists popping on the rim. You could try the side that's giving problems first to see if any difference.
    Personally, I would never buy a bike tire off e-bay since you can get any size or decent brand tires directly from motorcyclesuperstore or denniskirk usually with free shipping, mfg date of less than a year, and legitimate return policies.
    btw, I wouldn't hesitate to buy Shinko 230's again for any of my bikes. I used them(both front and rear) on my BMW K100 and GS750E....good handling, great in rain, and no hassle mounting or balancing.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-27-2011, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Out of curiosity, did you try installing the problematic bead first to see if it would go on as easily as the other side? If so, did you then have the same problems with the remaining bead? What IS the date code on that tire? Could be old and hard (comparatively to a newer, fresher tire).

Finally, I agree that measuring the bead and comparing it to the tire you just removed may shed some light on whether it is somehow defective or not.

Good luck with it!

Regards,

Comment

Also, if you're using a tube it may be pinching or is inflated too much causing the tire not to move freely. I would now be more concerned if you are running tubeless and have ripped the bead on the "new" tire. Definitely check the mfg date of that tire. You may be wasting effort on a worthless "new" tire!
        Cast wheels marked tube type on the '70s models may still be used as tubeless if the rim is good and clean and the tire bead is not buggered up.
        Last edited by Guest; 06-27-2011, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Did you leave the tire out in the sun first to get soft?
          Also make sure the 1st bead hasn't seated before you get the seconf bead on, having the 1st bead able to $35 to have a tube replaced after I managed to pop my new tube getting the tire on.

Comment

i tried everything in every order, i think it must have been something with the tube... because the machine sucessfully put the tire on! tube was deflated all the way.. the way i see it there was just no way the tire was gonna get on.. i think it was way to hard or something...
            John 3:16

Comment

I had problems with my rear tubeless too.
              Had to stretch and fight it to the end!

Got her on though, I wasn't about to take "no" for an answer, lol.

Comment

Working...
              X