Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750 front fork rebuild. Help!

Hi all.

I'm rebuilding my 80'(-ish) GS750 and need some help before I start stripping the forks. They are both leaking as the was standing outside for 5 years before I got it. The drawing shows a fork seal and spacer seal and....and ....

Please explain which is which, and what they're supposed to do. I have replaced seals on various bikes before, not a GS though, and it's somewhat confusing.

Maybe I'm just stupid, but please help!

I replaced the fork seals on my 83' GS750T 2years ago and it wasn't that difficult. Can't really tell from your picturebut there may be 3 extra pieces I hadn't seen on other forks I've done. 2 of the parts are plastic antifriction rings that reside on each end of the fork tube(I think the tube is machined to accept them). The other part is a washer that simply rests under the seal. If you take apart 1 leg at a time you can always refer to the other if you get confused.I used LEAK PROOF seals kit #42091 and am pleased with them. Good luck, Steve

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Groenie,

#11 looks like the clip ring holding everything in, and #8 looks like the seal. The parts fiche should give you the parts descriptions. What's the exact year and model of your bike? It would help with the research.

If you like, have a look at these PDF files on GS fork seal replacement.

Fork Seal Replacement
      (by BassCliff)

Fork Seal Replacement
      (by Mr. Matchless)

And now
      let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I've got a 80 gs750e without the air fittings. Can I buy air fittings so I can blow my oldmmseals out without rooming the tube? Is it worth it to keep them on after that point as well?

Comment

Thanx BassCliff for the info.

I haven't started rebuilding the forks yet, will do so at a later stage. First I'm getting the bike running properly and sorting out all the little things I can do without forking out any money...

Comment

Working...
          X