1982 GS1100G rear shock length

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS1100G rear shock length

I've searched to no avail. Can someone tell me the stock shock length?

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. atonic,

Seems like that shock length would be 330mm-340mm, about 13.0 to 13.25 inches. The little variance will depend on your inseam, how quickly you like the front to steer, how much ground clearance you like, etc. The stock length, I think, is 335mm or about 13.2 inches.

Anyway, let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks Mr. Basscliff !

I'm not really new. Just my first post since coming back. Still the same bike I had in '06, still with the same issues. Never got around to working on it. Sense of urgency went away when I got the Vstar. Then the ST1300. Then the Bandit. Then the Connie.

I recently decided to dust off the old girl and get her running. Need projects to work on since I won't be allowed to go back to work for another year (off 1.5 so far).

Comment

I measured mine at 12 and 7/8" center to center.

Daniel

Comment

I don't know if it was a seat height difference or an actual shock length difference but I've ridden and or owned just about every variation of the GS shaft drives and it seems to me the 82 and up models (850/1100G/GK) sat a little lower than the 79-81 850/1000 did. Now the GK came with a 16" rear wheel IIRC so that would explain some, but the 1100G was more or less the 850 in every way and I know it feels lower than my now ex 1000 did.
          I'd have to think that unless there were a substantial difference in seat height which I simply don't see with the naked eye, the shocks must be a hair shorter. Either way I think anything in the 13" give or take range would be fine. I've got a set of KYB piggy backs off a ZRX that I was planning on sticking on my 1000 before I decided to let her go to a home that shed see more use at. I realize that the added length could have some effect on shaft angle but I was curious to see how much. IIRC the L models used a bit shorter shock and if it could deal with a slight increase in positive angle I think it could deal with the same increase in negative angle. Course I could be wrong, never got the chance to find out. But they'd be hella nice shock upgrades for a GS.

Comment

When/if I replace mine, I will be trying 13.25-13.35" shocks as I like a little more leg room and ground clearance.

Daniel

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by atonic View Post
              I'm not really new. Just my first post since coming back. Still the same bike I had in '06, still with the same issues. Never got around to working on it. Sense of urgency went away when I got the Vstar. Then the ST1300. Then the Bandit. Then the Connie.
              Yes, it certainly sounds like you've had plenty of distractions. That's a nice stable of bikes. I'm glad to hear that you're putting your GS back into the mix.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
              X