GSX Front end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSX Front end

Im currently working on gathering parts for a front end swap on my '79 GS750L, and have started to consider swapping to a newer suspension, rather than my initial idea of swapping the L forks to a non L fork.

I have really found minimal information on swapping such a front end on the older bikes, and especially on a 750. I seem to recall reading that sometime around the mid/early '80s the GS line switched to a different type of bearing (Rolling vs tapered?) but I dont know what I have.

The prices seem similar:

GSX:
    -~$300 for forks, clamps and bearings. Some have bars, extras, but figure for arguments sake they dont.
    -$100 wheel. Some come with rotors, others dont, figure no
    -$100 clip ons
    -$100 rotors
    -$100 calipers
    -$100 tire
    -$30 fork seals+nuts and bolts
    =$730

GS:
    -$120 forks, figuring my clamps will work and current handlebars will work
    -$50 wheel+axle, since apparently my current axle would be a different size. Not sure on this
    -$80 for the Salty Monk twinpot upgrade brackets
    -$100 rotors
    -$100 calipers
    -$100 tire (current tire needs to be replaced)
    -$60 Progressive Springs
    -$30 fork seals+nuts and bolts
    =$640

Prices are estimations, since you can sometimes find a good deal, or package deal. But I would get a larger tire, larger brakes and better shocks on the GSX. GS would still net me bigger brakes, and better handling with the Progressive springs, and non L leading axle, but smaller and more dated shocks.

Mainly all Im asking, is can I make a GSX front end work on my '79 750 stem?

All balls has a fork swap bearing converter.

Next thing you need to do is figure out what setup your going with cause fork lengths are all different.

This thread has all the links to all the different charts to do a fork wheel conversion.

Hope this helps.

Comment

If you go to katanariders.com or other GSX forums, you can get front ends much cheaper, because they are upgrading to GSXR stuff

I got a GSX front end - clamps, stems, tubes, axle, brakes and wheel with tire for $140 locally
      And fender
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
      X