Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS550L: New stock forks or Twin Disc Swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550L: New stock forks or Twin Disc Swap?

My 1982 GS550L has pitting on the front forks. I changed the fork seals, but they didn't last long.

My options (the way I see it) are as follows (and all options include Progressive springs):

1) Get the forks re-chromed, replace the seals, and reinstall. Getting pricing on this now.
    2) Buy new GS550L forks, after painstakingly find some that aren't a) pitted or b) bent. Rebuild, reinstall. Probably $70ish.
    3) Buy GS650E forks (same process as 2), rebuild, and swap over to a twin disc setup at the same time. Depending on cost, I'd either upgrade to the bigger disc setup or just leave it at the smaller twins. $70 for forks, $200 for rotors, calipers, install kit, and second brake line.

I've seen pros and (a couple) cons to swapping the 550L over to twin disc. If it's worth it, I may as well do it now, since I'm looking at forks. If not, I'll just pick from options 1 or 2 depending on feasibility/cost/personal feelings. I do ride probably 25% two up.

Any opinions on the swap? I'm guessing this would happen over the winter, and I'll just keep an eye on my forks until then. I'd just like to start planning/looking for parts if possible. Thanks for the help!

Cheapest would be to buy forks fron eBay and rebuild. L forks seem more common and less expensive than standards. You could also just buy new tubes, available from several sources.

Comment

Forking by Frank has new tubes.... about $200 or so I think.

You could also upgrade to a set from a 650G or a 750E & then you'd have twins which you could then further upgrade to Twinpot calipers & Honda CBR rotors as per your option 3.
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Would the twin disc/twinpot upgrade be an efficient upgrade? Sure, upgrading your brakes is never a bad idea, but where is the point of diminishing returns? If I can lock up the front with twin small discs, should I bother upgrading to the larger rotors? Will my brakes be fine if I just throw a new set of pads in?

I guess I'm trying to figure out if spending the extra money will be something I will appreciate or regret in the long run.

Comment

Working...
        X