1150 bandit swingarm conversion question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1150 bandit swingarm conversion question

i read through a lot of the older posts but cannot find these a few answers and could use the forums knowledge here.

Can I bolt up the Bandit rear to my 1150 and the shock mount up?

I want to run a 5.5 rear and have heard you cant use the stock arm as well as you can?? It feels mighty tight in the stock arm.

Is the 1150 swingarm mount the same as all the other GS's? I assume it is, just different in the shock mount.

Here's a pic of where I'm at. got a USD for the front, too. Cant wait to finish this.

The 5.5 will fit in the 82/83 1100E swingarm. Why wouldn't it fit in the 1150 which came stock with a wider wheel than the 1100.

Comment

The 5.5" rim from a B12 fits in my 82... Still figuring out the spacing, though.
      Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that! :)

Comment

Originally posted by Panhead View Post
        i read through a lot of the older posts but cannot find these a few answers and could use the forums knowledge here.

Can I bolt up the Bandit rear to my 1150 and the shock mount up?

I want to run a 5.5 rear and have heard you cant use the stock arm as well as you can?? It feels mighty tight in the stock arm.

Is the 1150 swingarm mount the same as all the other GS's? I assume it is, just different in the shock mount.

Here's a pic of where I'm at. got a USD for the front, too. Cant wait to finish this.

How about keeping us up to date on this? I think I'd like to do this to my 1150E. ----Nice looking bike I might add!

Best, Don

Comment

I was looking at your garage and thinking it had to be COLD in the winter. THEN I looked and saw Florida! Never mind!!

Comment

Originally posted by DMorris View Post
            I was looking at your garage and thinking it had to be COLD in the winter. THEN I looked and saw Florida! Never mind!!

yea, we ride all year here in central FL.

Comment

awesome shed...

Comment

I've been trying to adapt a GS 1150 wheel in a GS 1100 swingarm.
                It goes in with no problem but the wheel is offset to the right by about 6 mm
                Would it be possible for you to measure the inside width of your swingarm at the rear wheel axle ?
                Many thanks!
                FYI, on a GS 1000 I've installed a GSXR 1100 swingarm complete with a 4.5" wheel and managed to line up the chain with an offset engine sprocket.
                I believe that it's even easier to install a bandit swingarm according to this site:http://www.parts.suzuki-katana.com/
                sigpicJohn Kat
                My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
                GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

Originally posted by John Kat View Post
                  I've been trying to adapt a GS 1150 wheel in a GS 1100 swingarm.
                  It goes in with no problem but the wheel is offset to the right by about 6 mm
                  Would it be possible for you to measure the inside width of your swingarm at the rear wheel axle ?
                  Many thanks!
                  FYI, on a GS 1000 I've installed a GSXR 1100 swingarm complete with a 4.5" wheel and managed to line up the chain with an offset engine sprocket.
                  I believe that it's even easier to install a bandit swingarm according to this site:http://www.parts.suzuki-katana.com/

The 1150 is a monoshock and the info I can find here is for the more common dual shock setup. just like the link you provide.

Comment

Originally posted by Panhead View Post
                    The 1150 is a monoshock and the info I can find here is for the more common dual shock setup. just like the link you provide.
                    I know but at least they provide the bushings for the B 12 swingarm pivot bolt.
                    In any case you will have to fabricate the required brackets and solder them to the frame in order to attach the monoshock.
                    Why go to all this trouble if you can fit a 5.5" wheel in your current swingarm?
                    sigpicJohn Kat
                    My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
                    GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

Originally posted by John Kat View Post
                      I know but at least they provide the bushings for the B 12 swingarm pivot bolt.
                      In any case you will have to fabricate the required brackets and solder them to the frame in order to attach the monoshock.
                      Why go to all this trouble if you can fit a 5.5" wheel in your current swingarm?

If I can make it work with my stock swinger, I will use it. A bandit arm is peanuts as far as cost goes, so if it would mount directly up it would be and easy install. I was just seeing if anyone knew.

I tried the Monster 900 rear shock and it is not a direct bolt up. It binds. I am gonna have to fab a new bracket to the swingarm bottom for it to bolt to. It will look good though, as I got the linkage from the monster and it will look kinda trick when fabbed up.

Plus the 5.5 wheel is quite tight. I'm gonna shave a little off the sprocket carrier and it should work better. Its now time to order my sprocket and chain. Once I get the rear done, I'll start with the USD front end.

Comment

You will need reducer bushings if you use the Bandit swing.

Comment

Working...
                        X