Since there seems to be a problem with Avon Road Riders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since there seems to be a problem with Avon Road Riders

Does anyone know of a tire that's similar in price and performance?

I love my Avons....and so does the 4-5 people I know personally that use them...

It still remains the best choice in a cost/performance comparison...
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

How recently did you buy yours? I'm a bit concerned about buying them after reading this thread about the Road Riders developing cracks in the sidewalls after a month.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=140853

I realize that thread was started back in '09, so if the problem has since been fixed, then that's great. If not, I'd rather not roll the dice.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCapsule View Post
        I'd rather not roll the dice.
        I did. Craps on the first one and still rolling on the second.....fingers crossed.
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

90% of the cracking issues seem to be surface-related, or purely cosmetic.

I can't recall anyone getting any kind of catastrophic failure from them.

---------

I bought my Avons BEFORE reading any kind of reviews...

Glad I bought them anyways, the leaning/traction is insane for the price!

Their probably suited for frequent track days, where you can just bring a few sets, and blast 'em on the track all day and throw 'em away.

But I have them on my daily rider, because I like to lean hard.

Comment

I've ran RoadRiders on every single GS I've owned. Never once had a problem.
            The issue seems to be hit or miss, could have a lot to do with where they're stored by the distributor.. Who knows. Never had a problem myself. Thousands of miles on more than a couple GSes. My personal favorite combo is roadrider rear with the Avom Venom up front. The venom seems to be more "bitey" but they don't make them our rear sizes. Turn in is made quicker, handling lighter.
            Fantastic tires IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by MadCapsule View Post
              Does anyone know of a tire that's similar in price and performance?
              Bridgestone- BT-45's or Spitfire's
              Pirelli- Sport Demon's

Any of the three can be taken to the edge with no surprises and the Bridgestone's last the longest.

Daniel

Comment

I've never had a problem, nor have I ever seen a problem in the several dozen of RoadRiders I've used, abused, replaced and installed on many other bikes. I've never actually seen a cracked RoadRider in person on anyone else's bike, either.

Yes, a few people have had problems and are howling their heads off. The vast majority have not. So far as I can tell, no one has suffered an actual failure or injury.

I continue to recommend and use RoadRiders.

If you absolutely require a warranty for your own peace of mind, then purchase your tires through a good local dealer and have them installed there as well so that the dealer will go to bat for you with Avon if needed. This will cost you nearly as much as two sets you install yourself, but if it makes you feel better, go right ahead.

Do whatever seems best to you.
                Last edited by bwringer; 07-12-2011, 02:49 PM.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

If the problem is cosmetic, I may reconsider the RoadRiders.

Those Bridgestone Spitfires are the right price too. I may have to consider a set of those.

Comment

Spit fires are about 20% the tire that the road rider is, it is like comparing apples to pianos.
                    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      Spit fires are about 20% the tire that the road rider is, it is like comparing apples to pianos.

Have you actually logged over 100,000 miles on the Spitfires with that comment?

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post

Have you actually logged over 100,000 miles on the Spitfires with that comment?

Daniel
                        Anyone can look at the profile and tell you it's a better handling tire (the Roadrider). It's, yanno, round, vs squah. Then again, I suppose it depends on whether you ride more twists than straights. In which case I suppose it doesnt matter. But. If you want a tire that hooks up well, inspires a great deal of confidence leaned hard, wet or dry, and you can get 8-10K miles out of, buy the RoadRider. The Spitfires look straight out of 1979 in comparison. Just my .02.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                          Anyone can look at the profile and tell you it's a better handling tire (the Roadrider). It's, yanno, round, vs squah. Then again, I suppose it depends on whether you ride more twists than straights. In which case I suppose it doesnt matter. But. If you want a tire that hooks up well, inspires a great deal of confidence leaned hard, wet or dry, and you can get 8-10K miles out of, buy the RoadRider. The Spitfires look straight out of 1979 in comparison. Just my .02.
                          I'll toss in $0.03 and make it a nickle....
                          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I have to agree with all of the rider's living in the "rust belt". (Flat landers)
                            You guys REALLY KNOW all about those twisty roads with elevation changes.
                            Nothing at all like the FLAT cornfields and FLAT country-side that we have to ride through :

I bet that those Avon's are just fantastic on ALL of those twisty/high speed roads that you all encounter daily.

Care to share ANY video's of those twisty roads that you all ride on???

(Some people have different ideas as to what a twisty road is, apparently)

Daniel
                            Last edited by Guest; 07-12-2011, 06:06 PM.

Comment

What sizes in particular are you trying to find?
                              100/90/16 frt?
                              120/90/17 rear?

or something in a more modern size?
                              like a 120/70/17 front and a 150/70/17 rear from a katana?

Comment

Working...
                              X