No announcement yet.

Since there seems to be a problem with Avon Road Riders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the front, I believe I need either 90/90-19 or 100/90-19.

For the rear: 100/90-18 or it seems that I can go up to 120/90-18 without clearance issues.

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post

Have you actually logged over 100,000 miles on the Spitfires with that comment?

Daniel
      No, once around the block is enough to know Spitfires are no where near the caliber of tire as the RoadRiders, not even in the same ballpark. I have Spitfires on three bikes now, about three others in the past, and a similar number of bikes with road riders. Much better traction, both braking and cornering traction, much better in rain, snow or whatever sandy loose muddy crap thats on the roads around here in winter. No skipping on the paint stripes, no loosy goosy stuff at all. The tires just feels more planted, more solid, more confident at all times. The more aggressive you ride, the more obvious the difference becomes. Compared to the Spitfires, there's no comparison.
      I wouldn't ride on them at all if it wasn't for the fact that the bikes I buy keep showing up with Spitfires on them. I guess someone thinks they are worth buying. Not me.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Out of curiosity... has anyone tried Dunlop TT100GP's at all? They have an excellent range of sizes for all our little wheels...
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Well I went over to Jake Wilson and found these tires
          For the front 100/90/19
          Avon Distanzia
          Avon Venom AM41
          Avon Roadrider am26
          Pirelli Night Dragon
          Pirelli Sport Demon
          Dunlop D607 (IIRC these are oem on DRZ-SM's)
          Dunlop GT501 (OEM on cruisers)
          Bridgestone Battlax Bt45 (not a bad sporting tire)

Now back at the back
          rear 100/90/18
          Only the Avon Roadrider AM26, which seems to be a front tire.

rear 110/90/18
          Avon Roadrider AM26, which again, seems to be a front tire.
          Bridgestone Battlax bt45 in both h and v rated
          Dunlop D404 rear
          Pirelli Sport Demon rear

rear 120/80/18
          Avon Distanzia
          Bridgestone Battlax bt45

rear 120/90/18
          Avon roadrider am26 rear
          Dunlop d404
          Dunlop gt501
          Bridgestone Battlax bt45

Now it has been ages since I even rode a bike with the BT45's and I don't have any experience with the rest of these tires or even the touring tires I did not bother to include in this listing, but at least you can see there more choices than the spitfires or Road riders.
          Still I'd consider the BT45's a safe bet, and a benchmark to compare any other tire to it.

Comment

Originally posted by JES_vfr View Post
            Well I went over to Jake Wilson and found these tires
            For the front 100/90/19
            Avon Distanzia
            Avon Venom AM41
            Avon Roadrider am26
            Pirelli Night Dragon
            Pirelli Sport Demon
            Dunlop D607 (IIRC these are oem on DRZ-SM's)
            Dunlop GT501 (OEM on cruisers)
            Bridgestone Battlax Bt45 (not a bad sporting tire)

Now back at the back
            rear 100/90/18
            Only the Avon Roadrider AM26, which seems to be a front tire.

rear 110/90/18
            Avon Roadrider AM26, which again, seems to be a front tire.
            Bridgestone Battlax bt45 in both h and v rated
            Dunlop D404 rear
            Pirelli Sport Demon rear

rear 120/80/18
            Avon Distanzia
            Bridgestone Battlax bt45

rear 120/90/18
            Avon roadrider am26 rear
            Dunlop d404
            Dunlop gt501
            Bridgestone Battlax bt45

Now it has been ages since I even rode a bike with the BT45's and I don't have any experience with the rest of these tires or even the touring tires I did not bother to include in this listing, but at least you can see there more choices than the spitfires or Road riders.
            Still I'd consider the BT45's a safe bet, and a benchmark to compare any other tire to it.
            Wow! You didn't have to dig all that up. I really appreciate your help.

Those Battlax bt-45's seem to be a good compromise between performance and price for my budget.

If I can scrape up the extra cash, I may still go with the Roadriders. We'll see how it goes.

Comment

I love a good tire war ! It's been at least a month since I read the last techno tire argument....

I don't care weather you have a $400 set of Michlin sport Pilots, or a $140 set of bargain Cheng Shin's when it comes to the real world of constant hazardous street driven motorcycles the only difference between the two brands is $260 . I've tried virtually every brand out there, don't notice ANY substantial difference on the street.... (i.e when accidentally hitting a post rain sand wash through a blind corner) . However ya know what DOES make a big difference in the way your bike handles on the street ? CORRECTLY MAINTAINED TIRE PRESSURES . How come I never read continued arguments over what ideal tire pressure to run ?

Now i'll go back to chewing popcorn and sipping my brew....
              Last edited by Guest; 07-15-2011, 05:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                I have to agree with all of the rider's living in the "rust belt". (Flat landers)
                You guys REALLY KNOW all about those twisty roads with elevation changes.
                Nothing at all like the FLAT cornfields and FLAT country-side that we have to ride through :

I bet that those Avon's are just fantastic on ALL of those twisty/high speed roads that you all encounter daily.

Care to share ANY video's of those twisty roads that you all ride on???

(Some people have different ideas as to what a twisty road is, apparently)

Daniel
                Have you ever been to southwest Ohio? Southern Indiana? Eastern Kentucky? There is this little mountain range here. Takes up most of the states from Ohio down to Georgia. West Va to Indiana. Called the Appalachians. Course they're little fingers of it.
                I lived in Colorado. I live here. Been everywhere out west. Probably lived in more states than you. Seen a lot of miles of roads.

I can tell you this much. There are roads here that will cause you to suck seat up your ass they're so tight. I think I know a thing or two about twisty roads.

I love it when people assume that the Midwest is completely flat. It just shows how uneducated they are. The entire eastern side of the country is mountainous. Well. Except Florida and Mississippi. But we don't count them

Comment

Originally posted by Road_Clam View Post
                  I love a good tire war ! It's been at least a month since I read the last techno tire argument....

I don't care weather you have a $400 set of Michlin sport Pilots, or a $140 set of bargain Cheng Shin's when it comes to the real world of constant hazardous street driven motorcycles the only difference between the two brands is $260 . I've tried virtually every brand out there, don't notice ANY substantial difference on the street.... (i.e when accidentally hitting a post rain sand wash through a blind corner) . However ya know what DOES make a big difference in the way your bike handles on the street ? CORRECTLY MAINTAINED TIRE PRESSURES . How come I never read continued arguments over what ideal tire pressure to run ?

Now i'll go back to chewing popcorn and sipping my brew....
                  Do you ride like a old people screw then? Cause I can tell when I have crap tires on a bike before I get it off my street. If the steering feels tractor like, it's a bad start for it. From there we can assess grip, even if it hasn't rained. If your cant feel the difference you aren't trying hard enough.

And tire pressure is largely dependent on multiple issues, ie the type of tire, the expected load, the speed at which you plan to run, etc etc.
                  So theres no right answer there.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                    Do you ride like a old people screw then? Cause I can tell when I have crap tires on a bike before I get it off my street. If the steering feels tractor like, it's a bad start for it. From there we can assess grip, even if it hasn't rained. If your cant feel the difference you aren't trying hard enough.

And tire pressure is largely dependent on multiple issues, ie the type of tire, the expected load, the speed at which you plan to run, etc etc.
                    So theres no right answer there.
                    Do you drive like an insane idiot on the street ?

I don't run "crap" tires on the street period. If you are pushing a bike to the point where it starts to exceede the capability of any brand of clean condition DOT tires, you have a date with the grim reaper in the near future....

Comment

Originally posted by MadCapsule View Post
                      Wow! You didn't have to dig all that up. I really appreciate your help.

Those Battlax bt-45's seem to be a good compromise between performance and price for my budget.

If I can scrape up the extra cash, I may still go with the Roadriders. We'll see how it goes.
                      The BT 45s are superior to the Spitfires and worth the money

That one Avon size is a front/rear tire, you don't see that much anymore. If you find one, you'll note that it mounts in one direction for the front, reverse for rear

I was a dedicated Pirelli man until I tried the Avons.

The only negative thing I can say about the Avons is that they run large. My 120/90 is more like a 130/90, my chicken strips are wider on the rear
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

having been riding last 35yrs owned kat1000, Gsx1135e, Gs1100g and my present
                        Gs1085S .
                        over the yrs tried pirelli phantoms, metzelers, TKV contis,mitchelins ,the Avon roads riders are the best i have had yet "wet or dry".
                        havent heard of any probs over this of the pond.
                        Last edited by gshub; 07-15-2011, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Ive owned 2 sets of bt45s. I absolutely love them. great grip in wet and dry. And they offer sharp responsiveness and a pretty good wear. I used to take my gs500 up in the knobs and thrash it pretty hard in the twisties. I could get all the way to the edge of the tires and not feel a hint of them wanting to release their grip on the road. I rode pretty hard in the wet too. I could take corners with out noticing and fron end wash or rear end squirreliness. I went through 2 sets only because of nasty road debris. Im awaiting my rear bt45 for my gs650 now. they come in 120/90-17 for an average price of $110 for those that need that size. about $100 for the front at 100/90-19

Comment

Perhaps the OP is worrying too hard about which tires to pick?

Just a thought....Because I know how it is when you start reading tons of different reviews. You start thinking too hard and soon enough, you can't even make a decision on what you want! lol

-----
                            What type of riding are you planning on doing?

Just going A to B on the highway?....Lots of back roads? Long distance riding?

Because I can assure you, Avons are nice tires, but I wouldn't put them on every bike in my garage. Because every bike in the garage is customized for a different purpose.
                            (twisty bike, cruiser bike, junker bike to beat up.....etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by Road_Clam View Post
                              If you are pushing a bike to the point where it starts to exceede the capability of any brand of clean condition DOT tires, you have a date with the grim reaper in the near future....
                              That's what my Dad said forty years ago.
                              I outlived him.
                              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
                                Perhaps the OP is worrying too hard about which tires to pick?

Just a thought....Because I know how it is when you start reading tons of different reviews. You start thinking too hard and soon enough, you can't even make a decision on what you want! lol

-----
                                What type of riding are you planning on doing?

Just going A to B on the highway?....Lots of back roads? Long distance riding?

Yes.

Because I can assure you, Avons are nice tires, but I wouldn't put them on every bike in my garage. Because every bike in the garage is customized for a different purpose.
                                (twisty bike, cruiser bike, junker bike to beat up.....etc.)
                                I only have one bike, so this one will be doing a bit of everything. If I can only get it running again!

I think I've decided on the bt-45's. They fit my budget and, judging by the reviews I've read and the input of members here, they seem to be a good all-around tire.

But by all means, keep the suggestions coming. I love learning about this stuff!

Comment

Working...
                                X