Fork Seal and a Fish hook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork Seal and a Fish hook

Have gone over the instructions for fork deal replacement on basscliff's and my service manual thoroughly. Both places caution against scratching the fork tube. This makes perfect sense as it slides up and down through the seal. But what about the outer tube ? Could you slide a straightened fish hook down the outside, twist it and then pull up {one on each side} ? Or is there a risk of damage to the outer tube ? Just asking in case one of the other methods doesn't work.
    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

I wouldn't suggest scratching the outside seal area either; it needs to seal there, too. My plan of last resort was to burn it out, as others have done. Supposedly stinks but works just great. Got air forks? 150psi usually does a good job getting them out.

Comment

Yes they're air shocks,and I was going to try that, but I don't see the valve coming with it in my manual. But maybe you can put it back on once the tube has been removed. I am just playing Devil's advocate in case Murphy shows up. Thanks you just saved me from doing something stupid.
      Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
      Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
      1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
        Thanks you just saved me from doing something stupid.
        I did stupid and now my fork leaks...after 3 seals . Any one got a (good / un-pitted) tube for my EZ ?
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
        X