Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Woohoo!! Circlips out But what about Seals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woohoo!! Circlips out But what about Seals?

Finally got the circlips out, now on to the seals. Tried using the slide hammer method to no avail. Cannot use the air method as there is no air valve on the tube. So that leaves heat and any suggestions you may have. I have a nice little soldering blow torch to use. But I don't quite grasp the concept. How much are you supposed to heat, and then how do you get it out ? Also I notice the spring is more compressed on one end than the other. Does that mean my springs are shot ?
    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

Guess I'm a little slow but what are you working on? Forks? What bike?
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Sorry, It's a 1983 GS 750E. I put it in my signature but don't know how to get it to display,on my threads. I am also trying to do it the Basscliff method without disassembling the lower fork.
      Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
      1983 GS 750

Comment

Hi,

You can just dig the old seals out, be very careful not to scratch the fork tubes. Many have used long wood screws. Screw 2 or 3 into the seal and pull it out.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I was thinking about that. Do you think it would help to soften the seal with a torch? I have to admit I am concerned about scratching the tube. Does the heat method involve prying them out as well ?
          1983 GS 750

Comment

Just pull the forks apart. Why monkey around?
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Don't muck about trying to pry the seals out - 99% chance you'll booger the stanchions. Plus I bet you'll need to replace the teflon rings as well as the seals (dunno if they're real Teflon - Suzuki call 'em anti-friction, but Teflon is easier ).

The slide hammer technique does work. On some of these old forks you've just got to keep giving it a blo*dy good whack. They'll give in eventually. And when they do pour yourself a beer 'cos chances are you'll be cream crackered
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                Finally got the circlips out, now on to the seals. Tried using the slide hammer method to no avail. Cannot use the air method as there is no air valve on the tube. So that leaves heat and any suggestions you may have. I have a nice little soldering blow torch to use. But I don't quite grasp the concept. How much are you supposed to heat, and then how do you get it out ? Also I notice the spring is more compressed on one end than the other. Does that mean my springs are shot ?
                The correct and least risky method for removing fork seals is to remove the 8mm bolt with an impact gun in the bottom of the fork leg. Once you get that bolt out, you compress the fork tube, then abruptly slam outward the tube and the internal bushing will force the seal out. Keep in mind, the best method to install fork seals is to use a specialty seal driver. FYI do not use a "punch" to drive the seal ! you will warp the seal lip and you've got leaky fork seals again...

Comment

Also if you tear them down completely you will be amazed at how much sludge and crap has built up inside the fork leg. oil will be black and nasty. If your going to do a job do it right it generally don't take that much more time to do it right. And in some cases takes longer to only do half the job.
                  1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                  80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                  1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                  83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                  85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                  1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                  “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                  If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

All of these suggestions assume that you have the bolt out of the bottom of the forks.

Do you?

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanx guys its been a frustrating experience. My original intention was to follow bikecliffs tutorial. But my setup is nothing like his. Then someone mentioned slidehammer. So day 1 spent several hours, slidehammering with no success. but 1 sore shoulder. Day 2, tried to put in a wood screw. Even with my 280 pounds, I couldn't even get it started. Didn't want to mess with that too long, for fear of damaging the fork. So grabbed my propane torch and off to the alley, so as not to stink up the underground parking lot. 2 hours later and I am not even half way through. So back up to the apartment, and crack a beer. PM to Hampshirehog, who was kind enough to send me a detailed set of instructions. And no I had not removed the allen bolt. Once I did this, one gentle slide and out popped the seal. What I was wondering was, and I don't know if it can be done is; to establish a link between bikecliff's tutorials and members individual bike experiences for different models ? It would be nice but I think it be complicated to set up.
                      1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                        And when they do pour yourself a beer 'cos chances are you'll be cream crackered

Now there's a metaphor I've not heard before... I like it!!
                        '85 GS550L - SOLD
                        '85 GS550E - SOLD
                        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                        '81 GS750L - SOLD
                        '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                        '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                        '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                        '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

And no I had not removed the allen bolt. Once I did this, one gentle slide and out popped the seal.
                          Yes if you don't remove the allen bolt you will get nowhere.Read through this thread and was asking myself "did he take the bottom screw out?".Got it done in the end,all that really matters.
                          Last edited by Guest; 07-20-2011, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Thanx guys its been a frustrating experience. My original intention was to follow bikecliffs tutorial. But my setup is nothing like his. Then someone mentioned slidehammer. So day 1 spent several hours, slidehammering with no success. but 1 sore shoulder. Day 2, tried to put in a wood screw. Even with my 280 pounds, I couldn't even get it started. Didn't want to mess with that too long, for fear of damaging the fork. So grabbed my propane torch and off to the alley, so as not to stink up the underground parking lot. 2 hours later and I am not even half way through. So back up to the apartment, and crack a beer. PM to Hampshirehog, who was kind enough to send me a detailed set of instructions. And no I had not removed the allen bolt. Once I did this, one gentle slide and out popped the seal. What I was wondering was, and I don't know if it can be done is; to establish a link between bikecliff's tutorials and members individual bike experiences for different models ? It would be nice but I think it be complicated to set up.

I've never read any credible sucess stories removing and installing fork seals while the tubes remain assembled. Read this tip as well :

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Comment

Working...
                            X