No announcement yet.

Spring question ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry, I have no intention of changing the oil. Was just commenting on what I would do if I was doing the job now. I think I would have put those Progressive springs in as well. But at the time I didn't want to wait or spend the money.
    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time1983 GS 750
    https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4256/3...8bf549ee_t.jpghttps://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4196/3...cab9f62d_t.jpg

Comment

You can always add a spacer to increase the preload.

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Really?

I thought that the tight ones compressed first.

Actually, all the coils compress together, but the tighter end coil binds first, reducing the effective length of the spring and making it stiffer.
        The spring has no idea which end it's being compressed from, the only advantage to putting the tighter coils up top is that reduces unsprung weight by a tiny amount. Completely insignificant effect in a motorcycle fork.
        Put them in with the tight end up, down, mixed, whatever, you'll never feel a difference.
        '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
          Actually, all the coils compress together, but the tighter end coil binds first, reducing the effective length of the spring and making it stiffer.
          The spring has no idea which end it's being compressed from, the only advantage to putting the tighter coils up top is that reduces unsprung weight by a tiny amount. Completely insignificant effect in a motorcycle fork.
          Put them in with the tight end up, down, mixed, whatever, you'll never feel a difference.
          how does it do that then? considering the springs are part of the mechanics that all the unsprung weight is attatched to!
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
            how does it do that then? considering the springs are part of the mechanics that all the unsprung weight is attatched to!
            The top of the spring is 100% sprung weight, the bottom of it is 100% unsprung. A linear spring has its weight evenly distributed over its length, so 50% of the weight is unsprung. A progressively wound spring has a heavy end though, the one with the tighter coil winding. So if you install it with that end down you might end up with 60% of the total weight being unsprung.
            A pair of springs weighs around 35ozs, so 10% of that is 3.5ozs. Compared to the weight of the wheel, tire, brake disks, calipers, fork sliders etc. that's insignificant, less than 1%. Ergo, it doesn't matter which end goes up.
            '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
              Actually, all the coils compress together, but the tighter end coil binds first, ...
              That's what I meant, you just used better words.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
              X