Front Fork Alignment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Fork Alignment?

so i took the front forks off and pulled everything out and wiped it down and then re-installed on the bike but then when i put the front wheel back on it seems to be out of alignment with the triple tree and when the bars are completely straight the front wheel points to the right a hair.

how do i fix this? i've tried to just pull it a bit and tighten it but that hasn't helped and it seems top settle back where it was? are my front forks messed up or am i missing something?

i've taken the wheel off and the forks are definitely settled at different lengths.

could that be fork oil? is there any way to adjust that?

thanks
    Last edited by Guest; 07-31-2011, 04:10 PM.

What bike ? Pictures ?
    Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time1983 GS 750
    https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4256/3...8bf549ee_t.jpghttps://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4196/3...cab9f62d_t.jpg

Comment

I would pull the forks off and see if each stanchion (= inner tube) slides freely up and down. It could be that one of your tubes is bent or something else is wrong inside there.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

oh, it's a '79 GS 750 E that i got as a total basket case and am now rebuilding. i'll try and start a build thread tonight or tomorrow so you guys can see my concoction.

as for the original question, i figured it out. i sat down to think about it for a bit and then finally just took everything apart and re-assembled and what i think i did(which you are going to laugh at) is, when i put on the wheel i missed putting one of the little metal cylinder sheaths that go inside of the bottom fork clamps. i know it's totally stupid but it seems to be better now.

thanks

Comment

You wanna talk about feeling dumb?

I had just got done rebuilding my forks, and had them sitting Straight Upright.
          And I noticed One of them was shorter than the other....

I started to freak out, thinking maybe I re-installed something wrong or forgot to put a spring back in.....

It was like 2am, and just said screw it, I'll deal with it tomorrow...
          I got up the next day, tearing that garage upside down looking for any extra fork parts laying around.

Then walked over to rip the fresh forks apart, then I noticed they ARENT supposed to stand level with one-another on the ground.
          Because one fork has 2 screws sticking out of the bottom....

I was like ....felt like slapping myself in the face!
          Last edited by Guest; 08-01-2011, 02:54 PM.

Comment

ok, i guess it's still not solved and i feel stupid. any ideas?

i can't think of any other reason the bars would be slightly off from the front wheel? that is the only thing i have seen that was different when i took everything apart. should i be looking somwhere else?

should i do a rebuild of the front forks to check everything out?

any help would be greatly appreciated.
            Last edited by Guest; 08-02-2011, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Make sure forks are mounted correctly in triple tree. Are they minted in the triple tree the same, same height? Different positions will allow for mis-alignment of the front tire. Do you have a fender ore fork brace mounted? If not it could allow the forks to twist a bit.

Comment

Don't rule out bent bars.

Comment

hmmm, bars are new, triple tree looks good but i'll check again and they are mounted at the exact same height. i'm going to have to mount the front fender and see if that makes a difference.

i kind of like the bike w/o the front fender but i have a second one so i might trim it down into a fork brace and see if that helps.

it is really close though and sometimes i feel like my mind might be playing tricks, maybe the headlight is a hair off?

i guess the only thing to do is take it all apart and double check. this is what i signed on for though haha.

Comment

Working...
                  X