Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any one running the stock wheel with bandit swingarm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any one running the stock wheel with bandit swingarm?

I'm sure this kind of thing has been done hundreds of times... but I guess I've exhausted the advanced search function(keep getting a fatal error).

What I'm trying to do with my current '78 GS1000 project is retain the stock wheels until I can budget enough time and $$$ to upgrade the front-end and wheels together. I already have the standard 03-04 Bandit swingarm setup and ready to run with dual shocks.

It appears that I could just bolt the B12 caliper onto the stock hanger after simply elongating the hanger's holes(and probably have to tweak the B12 stay a little to compensate for the larger rotor/narrower tire). The B12 caliper uses smaller 8mm bolts that are spaced about 5mm narrower than the stock caliper.

I'll probably fill the original holes with some kind of steel epoxy before drilling the new holes shifted ~5mm closer to each other.

The offset/spacing looked good when I did a quick comparison with both calipers mounted to the hanger at the same time(pardon the dirty parts. I don't thoroughly clean stuff until after I'm done fitting/modifying them... saves me wasting time on cleaning up parts that may end up not being used)

Does this make sound engineering/safety sense, or would it be better to find/make a smaller rotor to go with the B12 hanger(or some other rotor/caliper/hanger combination)?

Confused to why you want to do this? the purpose of the Bandit swingarm is to make way for a radial tire...

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
      Confused to why you want to do this? the purpose of the Bandit swingarm is to make way for a radial tire...
      Actually I thought it was for the Beefier arm. A radial wheel and tire will fit (depending) in a stock 1100E swinger. Can get a 160 or 170 radial in there fairly roomy IIRC. Having said that I don't understand why you'd bother with the hastle of making spacers and what not for this set up if you're just going to change it down the road. Just hang onto the swinger until you have all the bits ya need. It's much less convoluted when ya have everything ready to go right then. Use this time to prep everything else so it's as near to bolt up and go as you can get it.

Comment

I had to do something with the swingarm anyway... lots of rust, the pivot bearings were seized, the MC was shot, the caliper needs work, and the shocks were toast.
        For this bike project, if something is broken or missing, it gets upgraded or retrofitted with an equal or better salvaged part when possible... for my tastes/budget it makes more sense than going through the expense & time restoring original parts which provide no better gains in performance, or "expandability" for the future. My stock wheels are still in good useable shape, so I don't see a need to replace them just yet.

I'm almost certain the stock wheels will do fine for my riding needs(I won't know for sure until I get a chance to ride with them... I have some touring opportunities in the next month or so), and then I'd just work at improving the stock forks with some sonic springs, a brace, & maybe emulators. I never really tried pushing the envelope in the past, but if I adopt a sportier riding style with this bike, then I'd definitely be willing to invest more time & $$$ to make it handle and preform better.(I've already taken care of preliminary stuff like bracing, steering damper, intake, exhaust, and ignition)

This project has eaten a lot of my resources, including one whole summer's riding season and continues to devour the current one... I feel like I've already invested enough of my time(which is really needed elsewhere) in it to warrant getting a chance to ride this season, and wait on the wheel/front fork upgrades. This is my first GS. I've owned it for over a year and still haven't been able to even sit on it with the wheels, rearsets, seat, gas tank, handlebar, and motor installed at the same time(the bike itself hasn't seen asphalt in 13+ years).

<---My various feelings about this project from day to day as I get to tackle each piece of the puzzle. I knew it would be this way from past experience. I'm very dedicated to completing what I set out to do. The finished parts that I keep in my bedroom are a constant reminder for me to keep plugging away at this... even after getting home from a long hot day at work.

I've told my friends and family from the start, "Sleep deprivation is what will get this bike finished".

Sorry for straying off of the main topic and over explaining the situation/reasons.
        I should have the stock hanger modified sometime in the next day or two, and will post some pics of the work.

Cheers

Comment

Well, at least you have a good idea of what you're after. I've never seen anyone do this and retain the stock wheels, and I've seen alot of mod threads on here. The only concern I think you'd run into maybe is having to make spacers to make up for the possible hub width differences between the modern rims vs your stockers. I don't know how much that would be as I've never compared them side to side or measured but you may find it ends up looking a lil silly. Who knows? It will definitely be a stiffer arm for sure. Either way, I'm watching with interest.
          Another option if you wanted a better than stock arm and wanted easy of "bolt on" would be maybe trading your bandit arm for a GS1100E boxed Alu arm. That's pretty much bolt on and go for a GS1K.

I dont currently have a GS of my own in the stable, but at some point I hope to find a GS1000E that needs more help than it's worth to use as a base for a modernized cafe racer streetfighter whatever with. My plan will be to use ZRX1200R take-offs as they are fairly plentiful on the ZRX board (you wanna talk about mod-crazy, those guys throw recockulous money at modding an already, IMO, more than adequate bike for 95% of their riders) and they still look somewhat period correct. The bonus is a nice trapezed Alu swinger with eccentric adjusters, full cartridge right side up 43mm forks, standard looking gauges, and great brakes for factory brakes. Plus the stock KYB piggy back shocks are a fantastic upgrade for a GS. I already have a spare set, and I'll have another for sale at some point as I plan to swap to Ohlins on my Rex.
          I'm thinking, though I know it's been done to death, a yosh race replica. Or maybe I'll try something a lil different. Who knows. It's all deadly.

Enjoy your project! I enjoyed my cafe alot. I've also learned alot since I built that so I'm anxious to try out some of the new stuff I've learned... Just gotta find the donor bike...

Comment

I like the way you think CK. I probably would have gone with the ZRX swinger if I had been able to find one as easily/cheaply as the B12 one I picked up from flea-bay... and I've already gotten the tabs/bushings and done all the work to set it up with some ZRX shocks(also picked up from flea-bay).

I'm still not sure how long I'll end up keeping the stock wheels... When the new tires wear out would be an opportune time to upgrade I guess.

Right now, I'm happy with what should be the benefits of a stiffer and better suspended rear-end. Anything would have been an improvement over the old swingarm & shocks.

Anyway, the hanger modification is complete. There are only a few mm's to spare for clearance, so it took a little time to double-check the mounting holes alignment relative to the brake rotor's OD to insure the pads didn't overhang and the rotor wouldn't contact the caliper body.

I'll let the pictures finish the story...

The B12 brake caliper bolts up and aligns just slightly(1-2mm) off-centered with the stock rotor... not a big deal IMO.

Cheers!

Comment

Shouldn't be a problem as long as nothing touches... I would be using a big washer under the bolt heads to make sure I wasn't tightening anything down against the JB weld.
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
              X