Brake Light Issue on my 1100ES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake Light Issue on my 1100ES

My 83 1100ES has begun having a brake light issue. When I apply the foot pedal it lights up just fine. However, using the front brake lever it won't light up unless I squeeze the lever extremely hard.

The brake indicator on the instrument panel lights up occasionally as does the kickstand indicator but it has been doing that since I bought the bike.

The need to squeeze the lever hard is a very recent occurrence as I check that the brake light works whenever I fire the bike up for a ride.

As a noob, what's the recommended order of things to check?

The bike has 12K miles.

Originally posted by whereiwannabe View Post
    As a noob, what's the recommended order of things to check?
    1. Adjust the switch on the front brake.

2. Adjust the switch on the front brake.

3. ok, you know what it's going to be.

Since you're a "noob", look under the brake lever pivot, you will see the switch held on with two screws. Loosen VERY CAREFULLY, the screws are not very long. You should be able to slide the switch housing to adjust when the contacts will engage and turn on the light.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for this, it reminded me that I needed to go out and do just that! Cleaned the contacts up and adjusted it and now it works great again.

Comment

Mine was doing the same thing. Cleaned everything up, but #8 was completely messed up and crumbled when I had everything taken apart.

Nic
        83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

Yeah, just had the same problem this week. Lady pulled up along side me and said that I had no brake light!! So I get back to the stable and check the conector under the seat. All looks good there. Pull it apart and grab the meter. Curious thing, would get 11V BRIEFLY when pulling on the lever then goto nothing. So I pull the two screws out and see that it's just a couple copper connectors. Pretty tarnished up, so took some 600grit wet/dry paper and lightly scuffed so they were shiny again. Voila! Working again.

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Comment

After I took out the screws and everything fell out on the floor I sanded the oxidation off the copper strips. Seems to be operational again .

Comment

Do yourself a favor and get rid of that stupidly designed piece of junk and get a pressure switch from Dennis Kirk or the like. Cost ya bout $20 and it replaces your banjo bolt. You squeeze the lever, it pressurizes the switch and the light comes on. Simple. Maintenance free (just clean is when ya clean your brake system) and cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                  Do yourself a favor and get rid of that stupidly designed piece of junk and get a pressure switch from Dennis Kirk or the like. Cost ya bout $20 and it replaces your banjo bolt. You squeeze the lever, it pressurizes the switch and the light comes on. Simple. Maintenance free (just clean is when ya clean your brake system) and cheap.
                  He just very simply fixed a 28yr old functioning system (?)

Comment

Originally posted by ptexotik View Post
                    He just very simply fixed a 28yr old functioning system (?)
                    And he'll have to do it again. They get crud in them, filth, guts, etc etc. Everyone of them I've ever had were either corroded beyond repair, the slide chewed up or solder joints broken. It's one of the first things I replace.
                    There's a reason even somewhat newer bikes did away with them. And if there's a better product out there, why not use it?

Comment

And he'll have to do it again. They get crud in them, filth, guts, etc etc. Everyone of them I've ever had were either corroded beyond repair, the slide chewed up or solder joints broken. It's one of the first things I replace.
                      There's a reason even somewhat newer bikes did away with them. And if there's a better product out there, why not use it?
                      ok gotcha, and thanx.

Comment

But First time it's probably been cleaned in who nows how long and I don't have to spend the $20 that I really don't have If it aint broke, why mess with it for now.

Comment

I have to admit as I was picking up the parts and figuring out how it all went back together I wasn't overly impressed by the design. But it has lasted 28 years .

Cafe Kid do you have a pic you can share of how the setup looks on your bike?

Comment

Originally posted by dueller View Post
                            But First time it's probably been cleaned in who nows how long and I don't have to spend the $20 that I really don't have If it aint broke, why mess with it for now.
                            My opinion? Cause that first time it doesn't work may be the last time after some oblivious cager slams into the back of you...

But that's just my opinion.

I don't have a pic of one as I never thought it was that big of a deal to take
                            A pic of it. Like I said, it replaces the banjo bolt at your master cylinder, and has wires coming out of it that splice directly into the wires that would have gone to that silly switch.
                            A search of google for something like "hydraulic motorcycle brake light switch" or something of that nature should gain many hits.

Comment

My 1000G has the switch installed at the front caliper. I put it there because I was rebuilding the calipers and found it convenient at the time.

It doesn't matter which place you put it, either way it works quite well.
                              sigpic

SUZUKI:
                              1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                              HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                              KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                              YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Working...
                              X