Brake Light Issue on my 1100ES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
    My 1000G has the switch installed at the front caliper. I put it there because I was rebuilding the calipers and found it convenient at the time.

It doesn't matter which place you put it, either way it works quite well.
    Only problem I see with that is that you now have to run wires along the brake hose.
    Those wires will flex with every bump the front wheel encounters, increasing the chances for failure.

Another possibility is to replace one of the banjo bolts at the splitter on the lower triple, assuming you have one.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Can anyone tell me what size the stock single banjo bolt is to my front brake cylinder (83 GS1100ES)? I'd rather not have to take it off to measure it just to order the brake light pressure switch, then have to go thru bleeding the brakes, since I'll have to do that anyway when I install the switch. Call me lazy...

Z1's site says it is probably a 10mm x 1.0mm but wanted to confirm.

Comment

Pretty much all of them are the 10mm x 1.0mm except a select few. You'll be fine.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thanky thanky!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
            My opinion? Cause that first time it doesn't work may be the last time after some oblivious cager slams into the back of you...

But that's just my opinion.

+1 to this ...

I'm as cheap as they come (why else buy a 30 year old bike)

I cleaned and readjusted that damn switch 5 or 6 times till I finally said fugit ...

Best $20 I ever spent on the bike.

Comment

>I cleaned and readjusted that damn switch 5 or 6 times till I finally said fugit ...

Yup, that's what I said too

Ordered it from Rob at Z1 Enterprises today. Good folks there. He asked me how everything was going at Kosman... said he was glad to have Kosman products back on their shelves (cheap self-serving plug).

Comment

This weekend I replaced the old mechanical switch with the new improved pressure switch. I also took the opportunity to drain the nasty old brake fluid out of the the front and back systems.

Again, thanks for the good recommendation!

Comment

Working...
                X